Class of 2017 Profile: Richie Gengel Customizes His Career at Tom James

Gengel

Name: Richie Gengel

Hometown: Holden, Massachusetts

Major: Gengel graduated with a major in Business Administration and a minor in Marketing on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Gengel will launch a career in Washington, D.C. as a Sales Professional with Tom James. In this sales position, he’ll establish business relationships with professionals throughout the D.C. area as he develops their custom wardrobes.

How HPU helped you get there: HPU helped me in ways I didn’t realize until my senior year when I started interviewing with companies. The university made sure that I received a well-rounded education, from business classes to art classes to science classes. I learned so much more then I realized, and it has helped me grow my mind while also progressing a person. 

Most impactful mentor at HPU:  Mark Brown (assistant professor of art) was a great mentor. I went on a Maymester with him and took his class. Not only is he a brilliant man and artist, but he is a good person, and I honestly consider him someone I strive to be like. He knows who he is and what he wants to do while also being an outgoing and kind person. This might sound simple to someone else, but it changed how I want to do things and who I want to be. 

Most impactful moment at HPU: My most impactful moment is a tie between two, so I will have to share both: First, My initiation into Pi Kappa Phi fraternity taught me so many things about being a man and gave me relationships with people that I know I will hold close to me forever. The second impactful moment was the day I walked in to class with Randy Moser (assistant professor of the practice of marketing). I had him once this last semester, yet convinced he me that I had a skill for sales and should look into it as a career. I now have a great job lined up after college, and it is all because of him.

Advice for underclassmen: Do not get caught up in the little things because there is so much that High Point can offer. Go try new things and expand your horizons. You will never know what you like unless you try and push yourself! Don’t be afraid of something just because you have never done it before. I also value this quote from Og Mandino: “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.”