Class of 2017 Profile: Sonya Khedr Manages Marketing Career and Internship

Name: Sonya Khedr

Hometown: Westfield, New Jersey

Major: Khedr graduated with a major in Strategic Communication and a minor in Spanish on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Khedr will begin her career and complete an international internship while pursuing her master’s at HPU. Khedr will remain in the Triad to begin her full-time career with North to South Marketing Solutions in Winston-Salem, North Carolina as an account manager. She will manage her own team and oversee all marketing projects, press releases and marketing material before they are sent out to the public. Having accepted an internship opportunity before securing her job, Khedr will also travel to Brescia and Milan, Italy to serve as a public relations and marketing intern for two companies, Lonati and La Promos. During that time she will work closely with the CEO and focus on commercial aspects of each company. Khedr will work with Italian clients and organize meetings and events, such as launch parties, for both companies.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU brought a myriad of companies to campus during the various career fairs and the Center for Career and Professional Development opened so many doors for me to have success in the future. They provided me with various internships and connections in my field of interest. I felt prepared for my interviews because of all the pitches, speeches and presentations I had done in my communication classes.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Doug Hall in Career and Professional Development. He was my freshman success coach and then my career adviser. He helped make sure my resume and cover letter were as professional as possible and gave me contacts via LinkedIn to reach out about opportunities, and helped me construct professional emails to companies. I also met with him week after week and I can say that he is one of the main reasons I am so successful today and have been offered my dream job! He helped me achieve jobs I never thought I would get, opened doors that I thought could never be opened, and provided an experience at HPU I will never forget.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment that I realized HPU was truly my home. Every single staff member worked to make me feel welcome; a professor who I had never met in my life gave me their umbrella because it was raining. It was these small actions that confirmed I belonged here. Stepping onto campus and knowing I was home – from the water bottles to the ride in the golf cart, to the southern hospitality – I knew this was the perfect university for me. 

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of Career and Services, your success coaches, and all the career fairs. HPU sets you up for success by opening all these doors for you. Use it all!”