Class of 2017 Outcomes: Jackie Poolos Sells for Furnitureland South

Name: Jackie Poolos

Hometown: Albemarle, North Carolina

Major: Poolos graduated with a major in Business Administration and a minor in Marketing on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Poolos will remain close to the university as she takes on the role of design consultant with Furnitureland South. Poolos will work in the showroom selling furniture to clients on the local, national and international level.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get to where I am now by giving me all of the resources necessary to become successful. For me, the biggest resource I utilized was a Furniture Market job through Pantherlink. The networking opportunities and sales experience from working Market is ultimately what landed me the job with FLS.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Quinn is 110% the reason I was given the opportunity to interview with FLS. Although I’ve only had the pleasure of taking one class with him, I highly recommend him to ALL students not just business majors. Quinn talks about how to sell yourself and the confidence you need to get your dream job, but also how to portray yourself everyday.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was whenever I got over my fear of public speaking. The classes I’ve taken in the School of Business prepared students on how to dress professionally, speak with confidence and be prepared for presentations. Being able to verbally express yourself is so important, especially in sales!”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen is to take a sales class, no matter what your major is. I think it’s important to learn those basic skills to build self-condifence. The biggest thing is to get involved, join clubs, rush a sorority/fraternity, become a Peer Mentor, play in the HPU Pep Band etc. Getting involved helps you find your place and build your network!”