Class of 2017 Profile: Jenna Clarke Attends PA School at DeSales University

Name: Jenna Clarke 

Hometown: Alloway, New Jersey 

Major: Clarke graduated with a major in Biology and a minor in Psychology on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Clarke will join the physician assistant program at DeSales University.  

How HPU helped you get there: “Being a small, liberal arts school, HPU has given me a well-rounded education, and it has given me the opportunity to be heavily involved in extracurricular activities. I love that the class sizes at HPU are small enough that students have the ability to build a relationship with their professors. The small class sizes also make it easy to work with others and establish study groups within each major. High Point University made me feel as though I was not “just a number.” With every new club and leadership role I took on, I began to feel like the people I met during my time here were my family and HPU was our home.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The professors in the biology department, specifically, Dr. Sapp and Dr. Ackerman advised me on the proper classes to take in preparation for applying to PA school. Additionally, both professors guided me in obtaining my CNA license in order to get clinical hours for physician assistant school. Dr. Ackerman mentored me throughout the summer as I applied to schools by critiquing my personal statement and giving me advice about the interview process. I owe a great deal of my success to Dr. Sapp, Dr. Ackerman, and the many biology department professors who have helped me make my dream of becoming a physician assistant a reality.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Through HPU I was able to find out about a great program called VIDA. This program is for any pre-medical, dental, or veterinary track students who would like a global experience with healthcare. A group of students came to a biology club meeting looking to recruit people to go on a VIDA trip when I was a sophomore. So in May, a group of High Point students and I traveled to Costa Rica and Nicaragua where we were able to work with local doctors to treat and educate underprivileged villages in the area. This trip made me realize the vast need for healthcare resources around the world and further solidified my desire to become a physician assistant.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of the many opportunities that High Point University gives you. Build a relationship with your professors and learn from their experience and wisdom. At High Point, the opportunities to volunteer and join other extracurricular activities are endless. Take advantage of these opportunities. Pursue leadership roles, study abroad, and really take the time to find yourself so that you can be the person you are meant to be.”