Class of 2017 Profile: Amanda Gregory Attends Duke University for Doctorate of Physical Therapy

Name: Amanda Gregory

Hometown: Wilmington, North Carolina

Major: Gregory graduated with a major in Exercise Science on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Gregory will attend graduate school at Duke University, where she will pursue her Doctorate of Physical Therapy. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I am so lucky to have come to HPU because the possibilities here are endless. Working at the Biomechanics and Physiology Lab for three years was probably the biggest contributor to my acceptance to Duke PT school. I am so fortunate to have had amazing mentors over at the lab that helped me reach my full potential. They had amazing opportunities for me such as summer research with the NIH grant, presenting at the 40th annual American of Biomechanics Conference and countless research projects. Having that type of research helped my applications and resume stand out. I am so grateful for all of all of the staff over at the lab.

I also worked with Mrs. Illig in Career & Professional Development over the summer while I was working at the Biomechanics and Physiology Lab. Mrs. Illig helped me build a very strong application through our weekly meetings over the summer. She helped me make sure my application was the best it could be and that my essays were unique and would help me stand out. She also helped me during my senior year build my resume for a scholarship I was applying for. I am also very thankful for her and for her contributions to helping me get to where I am today! ” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. Kevin Ford. When I started volunteering at the Biomechcanics and Physiology Lab, I would have never thought I would be walking away my senior year with all the experiences that Dr. Ford made possible for me. He helped me from being an hour a week volunteer at the lab learning the ropes to becoming accepted at Duke’s DPT, presenting research at a prestigious conference, be apart of research for the NIH and major shoe company and potentially being a published researcher. Dr. Ford was always there to help me reach my full potential as a student at HPU, a future student at a DPT program and as a researcher. I am most grateful for Dr. Ford, because without him, I do not think I would be where I am today.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moments at HPU were probably on the track. I was part of the track and field team as a long jumper and sprinter. Being able to be a student-athlete has been one of the most impactful things on my life. I have bettered myself in the classroom but also on the track. The most impactful moment of my track career was during outdoor conference last year. I hit an all time personal record in the long jump which landed me on the podium. That was probably the most proud moments of my whole college career. 

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest advice to underclassmen is to take advantage of HPU’s resources! The opportunities and resources are among the best. College is the time to be the best person and student you can be and HPU can definitely help you do that! I took full advantage of the research opportunities here at the Biomechanics and Physiology Lab and also going through the Research Rookies Program that is offered. Underclassmen, use this time to push yourself to academic goals that you thought you would never reach, because at HPU they may be very possible with our resources and amazing staff!”