Class of 2017 Outcomes: Dan Fleming Joins Merrill Lynch

Name: Dan Fleming

Hometown: Bel Air, Maryland 

Major: Fleming graduated with a major in Business Administration with a concentration in Entrepreneurship on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Fleming joins the Practice Management Development Program at Merrill Lynch. He will develop the skills needed to become a successful financial advisor. Fleming will learn how to acquire new clients, work to develop client relationships and work with the clients to provide the right investment strategies to meet their needs. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me with a unique and perfect blend of experiences that prepared me for this position. I was able to gain experience working in the VP of Finance role for my fraternity and the interfraternity council through the HPU Greek Life system. These experiences provided me with opportunities to create and manage budgets, present bills regarding financial funding to SGA, and work with a team of executives to achieve the goals of the organization. I was also able to gain work experience through the High Point University Survey Research Center, this position provided me with experience talking to people on the phone and handling the different types of people you may encounter in the real world.

The Career & Professional Development center was also a great asset for me as I approached graduation. I was able to recreate my resume and Linkedin profiles using advice from experts at the Career Center. The advice that they gave proved to be a huge asset as I had never really put much thought into how each and every part of your resume and your Linkedin profile have a direct impact on how you are perceived by employers. I think that the help I received from the career center allowed for me to present my work experiences and education in a way that helped me to match with employers in my field.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor that I had in my time at High Point University was Professor Randy Moser. Randy is an exceptional professor and the advisor of my fraternity Beta Theta Pi. I took two sales clasess with Randy and learned valuable skills that have helped me in the interview process as well as will help me when communicating with clients and selling the Merrill Lynch products to them. Randy is a great advisor as well and was very helpful in my last semesters to assure that I would get all the credits needed to graduate and that I would be successful after college. I think the best experience I gained from his courses was the weekly team case presentations. While these were often difficult and required a strong team effort, it gave me great real world experience in meeting deadlines, working with a team, and presenting in front of peers.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The pivotal moment for me at HPU was when I decided to rush my freshman year and particularly when I chose to join a new fraternity Beta Theta Pi. I found this to be a great experience and it was awesome to join something new and different. I was able to watch the fraternity grow throughout my time at High Point University, and make lifelong friends along the way. In the last year we were able to gain our charter, be recognized with the Greek Life Excellence Award and achieve the highest GPA of all the fraternities in my final semester. I think that for me this was the best experience as I saw the fraternity grow over the years and I got to be a part of the fraternities success.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest advice is to utilize the career center as much as you can to build your resume and Linkedin profile as early as you can in your college career. I would also recommend to get involved in as much as you can whether it be sports, clubs, Greek Life, SGA, or an on campus job. These experiences will be helpful talking points in interviews and will show employers that you are someone who works hard and likes to get involved. Lastly, I would say that even if you do not have a job right after college don’t stress out and worry. It is important to enjoy college and gain life experiences that will help you in life, achieve academic success, and be involved socially. If you do all of these things a job in the right field will eventually come along after college and there is no need to rush into a job that may not be the right fit.”