Class of 2017 Profile: Nick Blackman

Name: Nick Blackman

Hometown: Flanders, New Jersey

Major: Blackman graduated with a major in Communications with a focus on Electronic Media on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Blackman begins his career with Alpha Bravo in San Francisco as a marketing and media assistant. He helps to develop sponsorship proposals for San Francisco partners including major corporations and sports teams in. Blackman will also produce the video, images and materials for participant engagement including, create teaser video and production proposal for a sports program based on Alpha Bravo, and recruit and manage interns in the marketing and digital production field. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU put me in professional environments preparing me to know what to expect when I entered the real world. The teachers and classes I had were straight forward with me, telling me what it was going to be like.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Trammell, and Doug Hall in Career and Professional Development. Doug Hall was a huge help, he was one of the main factors in me getting my internship last year, working for the NHL. He sat with me and told me what to fix on my resume, and how to present myself in interviews both intellectually, and aesthetically.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Joining Greek Life really opened my eyes up to things that are bigger than me. My fraternity preached on how individualism doesn’t work when you try to run a business, and that teamwork and cohesiveness is what you need in order to succeed.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Set yourself up to be successful. While it’s a lot easier said than done, HPU offers you a vast majority of people to network with. Sell yourself to your employers, while it’s a great trait to be humble, let the company you want to work for know why you are the best option they can pick.”