Class of 2017 Profile: Nick Stigler Joins Duke University Medical Center as Athletic Trainer

Name: Nick Stigler

Hometown: Kernersville, NC

Major: Stigler graduated with a major in Athletic Training on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Stigler will begin his career as a clinical athletic trainer at Duke University Medical Center. He will work alongside physicians in the hospital’s orthopedic clinics and perform initial evaluations, cast and splint injured patients, and write home exercise plans along with other clinical responsibilities. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The athletic training department at HPU makes sure their students are ready for real-world application the day they graduate. From prepping us for our board exam to situational examinations with standardized patients. Not to mention the many amazing clinical preceptors we worked with during our time in the major in physical therapy clinics, high schools, family practice clinics, and the collegiate setting. We were challenged everyday in the classroom and in the clinic.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Nancy Groh was by far the most impactful mentor for me at HPU. I first met Dr. Groh when she helped me pick my classes at early registration, and while in the program she was always someone that could not only help me with questions from class but real life situations as well. She was always there to help and really made herself available to the students as often as possible. I really enjoyed all the classes she taught and I am so thankful for everything she has done for me.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me has to be getting featured on the website after my internship with the Saints the summer after my freshman year. It really showed me that HPU cares about their students and is proud to show them off when they are successful in life.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Biggest advice would be to start early. You do not have to be a junior to get a resume together and start looking for internship opportunities. It shows future employers that you are highly motivated and determined. The more you can get on your resume while in college, the better it looks when you are trying to find a job.”