HPU President to Provide Update for Downtown Catalyst Projects

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 22, 2017 – High Point University President Nido Qubein will provide an update on the proposed downtown stadium and surrounding catalyst projects at 4 p.m. on Sept. 6 in HPU’s Hayworth Fine Arts Center.

The event, titled “Our City. Our Future. Downtown Catalyst Project Update with Dr. Nido Qubein,” is free and open to the public. To reserve a seat, call Campus Concierge at 336-841-4636 or email concierge@highpoint.edu.

During this community event, Qubein will provide an update on his and the university’s commitment to help move the city forward.

In addition to serving as HPU president since 2005, Qubein is a longtime citizen of High Point, a successful businessman and an international speaker.

Earlier this year, the Forward High Point Board unanimously voted and approved a formal resolution requesting Qubein to lead major components of bringing a baseball team to a proposed stadium in downtown High Point. The resolution from Forward High Point followed a previous City Council authorization which, in part, allowed the City to begin planning a multi-use stadium catalyst project.

On May 17, Qubein delivered the High Point Convention and Visitor Bureau’s Annual Meeting address in front of a packed audience of city leaders. During his address, he accepted the resolution to secure the baseball team and lead the naming rights for the stadium, but he also furthered it by announcing he would secure $38 million from private donors to fund new, additional catalyst projects for the proposed stadium area.

Qubein said the catalyst projects would include an innovative children’s museum, an urban park, an educational cinema and an events center, all of which would attract visitors to the stadium area year round.

“High Point has been my chosen home for nearly 50 years,” Qubein said at the meeting. “I am happy here, and I love my city. So when Forward High Point unanimously passed a resolution asking me to lend my experience for the downtown project, I was compelled to say yes. My involvement is strictly as a volunteer. I have no financial interest or stake in this development project in any way. My sole interest is helping High Point thrive.

“I pray that God will pull our community together as we move forward with commitment, conviction and creativity. Our future can be abundantly promising. Our city is blessed with many strengths including responsible leaders, loyal citizens and people with passion to persevere through challenges and opportunities. The time is now. It’s up to us. Together, yes we can.”