Class of 2017 Profile: Ally Astone Recruits for Corporate Clients

Name: Ally Astone

Hometown: Somers, Connecticut

Major: Astone graduated with a major in Human Relations on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Astone joins the The Goal, a professional services firm that has three core competences – federal consulting, commercial solutions and IT staffing services. In her role as a technical recruiter, Astone recruits, screens and finds candidates with the appropriate backgrounds for these core competencies and places them with one of the company’s 50+ clients. From the initial phone screen to their last day on the job, Astone will be their main person of contact. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get to where I am now by making me feel that I was not just a number. By giving me the opportunities and resources to join clubs on campus, I became Secretary, Vice President and ultimately President of The Petal Points A Capella group. By creating class sizes that average about 18 students per class, I was able to have a one-on-one relationships with not only my peers, but every single professor I ever had the pleasure of being a student of. As a Human Relations student, we were required to complete a practicum first semester of senior year and an internship second semester of senior year. Up until that point, I never really thought of the way my resume would be portrayed by a future employer, or my future supervisors of my practicum and internship. Career & Professional Development helped me create a resume that made me stand out amongst my peers, and successfully landed me a job offer a month before graduation.  HPU made me feel important, and I know that every faculty member, employee and fellow student I came across felt the exact same way.”  

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Easy question. Dr. Bergen was the most impactful mentor at HPU to me. I was fortunate enough to travel to Ireland with Dr. Bergen for a Maymester, and I can easily say that I have never had a more enjoyable time abroad than that month. When back at HPU for my senior year, I had successfully completed my practicum and was ready to find a location for my internship…only problem was that I had NO idea what I wanted to do. I went to Dr. Bergen’s office one afternoon and simply said “I need help.” Dr. Bergen sat with me and talked with me until we found options that could work with my skill sets and what I may be interested in doing. It was Dr. Bergen’s idea for me to go into staffing for my internship, and now that I am currently a Technical Recruiter for a Professional Services firm, I owe much of my success to him. Thanks Dr. Bergen.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU to me was when I, along with my a capella group, successfully hosted and performed Acatoberfest. Acatoberfest was the second annual benefit concert, hosted by the HPU Petal Points. The concert included all HPU a capella groups, along with guest groups from surrounding North Carolina schools, and the ticket of entry to the concert was a canned food item which would be donated to the Greater High Point Food Alliance. This past year, we were able to donate 289 canned goods along with a large cash donation to the Greater High Point Food Alliance. It was amazing to see all of the hard work my group and I had put into planning and hosting the concert, pay off and help support the High Point community that we love.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Never be afraid to ask for help, from anyone. If I never asked Dr. Bergen for help assisting me in finding a location for my internship, I would not be working as a Technical Recruiter at The Goal, my dream job. Every single person at HPU is willing to help in any way possible, no matter the question or task, so ask them!”