Class of 2017 Outcomes: Colleen Mulrey Attends Graduate School at the University of Tennessee

Name: Colleen Mulrey

Hometown: Cincinnati

Major: Mulrey graduated with a major in Exercise Science on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Mulrey attends graduate school at the University of Tennessee, earning her master’s in Kinesiology with a biomechanics concentration. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me find my passion and confidence to pursue and further my studies. The Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab gave me so many different opportunities including undergraduate research beginning freshman year, presenting at national conferences, and publishing my research. This has set me apart from other students in my same field pursuing the same master’s degree.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I had at HPU was Dr. Jeffrey Taylor. He took me on as a research assistant my second semester Freshman year, which really showed he had faith in my abilities and work ethic. Since my Freshman year he allowed me to work on multiple research projects, present at ACSM, and he helped me with my first publication. I know Dr. Taylor is one of the main reasons I got into graduate school! He wrote me so many brilliant letters of recommendation, made research fun and enjoyable, and gave me so much confidence in my abilities. If it was not for Dr. Taylor I would not have stayed my summer of junior year to be part of the incredible Dr. Ford’s NIH research study, and I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be the lead student on our Adidas soccer cleat study. I owe a lot of my success to Dr. Taylor, and I am incredibly grateful for all he did for my academic career!” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was actually a whole entire summer. The summer of my junior year I was selected to stay at HPU and perform research at the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab. This allowed me to truly delve into research all day every single day of the summer, which helped me realize my passion for research. The NIH study and the Adidas study that I helped with showed me that I wanted to become a Biomechanist and pursue a master’s and then PhD in this field.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Be yourself. The only way for you to truly find your passion is to follow what makes you happy! Find those that will raise you up instead of tear you down and surround yourself with positivity. Have faith in yourself! Don’t beat yourself up too much if you fail that test or don’t completely understand the material, there are so many resources on campus that will help you along this journey and make sure you are successful in anything you do.”