Class of 2017 Outcomes: Haley Ginther Pursues her Masters in Occupational Therapy

Name: Haley Ginther

Hometown: Mocksville, North Carolina

Major: Ginther graduated with a major in Exercise Science and a minor in Psychology on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Ginther begins graduate school at Winston-Salem State University, where she will pursue her Masters of Science in Occupational Therapy. 

How HPU helped you get there: “When I began my college career at HPU I thought I had it all figured out – I knew what I was going to do with my life. I had my major declared, my whole four years mapped out, and I was already looking into graduate programs I could apply to once I had graduated. Within the first semester at HPU, all of those plans changed. I realized that I was interested in things other than medicine and that I possibly did not want to spend an additional four to eight years in school after I graduated. I also realized that there is a whole world of opportunities in the Health Sciences scope of things that I was able to pursue just at HPU alone. With the help of the Career Services office, my advisor Dr. Dan Tarara, and my co-workers and boss at the Registrar’s Office I was able to discover and succeed in my new-found major of Exercise Science to pursue Occupational Therapy. 

As previously mentioned, I utilized Career & Professional Development quite often in my time at High Point University. The first being when I was trying to figure out a career and a major to go along with that. The career counselor did make me take a standardized test to figure out “what kind of thinker I am” or “what career my personality fits in best.” Instead, she genuinely got to know me as a person and found out my interests, strengths, and background to place me into a group of careers she thought I should look into. HPU does a wonderful job at placing an idea in your head but letting you figure out the meaning and how to make that idea come into fruition and she did just that. Later, in my senior year of college, I utilized Career & Professional Development as I started applying to graduate programs. With the help of Elizabeth Illig I had my resume reviewed and improved, my personal statement edited and revised, and made sure everything looked as professional and applicable as it could before I hit the submit button. She was there for me when I thought I would never get accepted and helped me search for back-up options and she was also there when I got into my dream program and no longer needed alternate plans. This office is truly a gem at HPU and I would encourage every student to utilize this tool from start to finish. I was able to be guided, while still making my own decisions, by so many different parts of HPU’s family that helped me get to where I am now; attending a graduate program for my career of choice.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I think it would be truly impossible to narrow down one person as my most impactful mentor in my time at HPU. Because of this I have chosen a group of people: the Registrar’s Office at High Point University. I was the student worker for this office from the beginning of my sophomore year all the way to my graduation day this past May. I started out never having worked in an office setting before, not knowing a thing about registration or transcripts, but with a willingness to learn it all. While it was first viewed as a part time job on campus for me to make spending money for my Chipotle addiction, this office slowly became one of the highlights of my days. Through my job here I was able to improve my social skills, vastly increase my ability of time management and organization, and gain a sense of professionalism that can only be found working for High Point University. But working here I truly know how hard every office works at HPU and how much effort the staff puts into each student’s education. I will never be able to thank them enough for the wisdom, the countless laughs, and the memories I made in Roberts Hall room 101.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “While it may not seem significant looking at it from the outside, the moment that I finished my last exam my junior year will forever be stuck in my brain. I remember walking out of my 8 AM exam at 9:14 and thinking to myself, “I only have one more year of this place.” It hit me then that I had one more year to make lasting memories with my roommates, friends, sorority sisters, co-workers, and faculty. I knew that the upcoming summer I would begin graduate school applications and that the next year would have many ups and downs. As I packed my car for the third time to head home for the summer I knew that I had one more year ahead of me at the best university I could imagine and I will never forget that feeling.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Having been a graduate for only two months I’m not sure I am yet equipped with the knowledge it takes to be successful after walking across the stage. However, I have a bit of information on how to be successful before you make it there. Enjoy the endless perks that HPU has to offer; stay up to make Prime reservations every single week, go to the free concerts no matter if you like the artist or not, and take a water bottle from the kiosk every morning. You will never again get the treatment that HPU offers in the real world or at another university. Also, plan ahead for the future but also plan for things to not go your way almost every single time. Even if you do everything in your power to make your life go a certain way, 9 times out of 10 something will happen that will make those plans fall through. Learn to roll with the punches and trust yourself to know how to put things back together. Do not take the views, landscaping, and beauty for granted at High Point University; take a second to look around you each day and realize how lucky you are to be there because it will be over before you know it.”