Class of 2017 Profile: Jake Pickett Attends Law School

Name: Jake Pickett

Hometown: State Road, North Carolina

Major: Pickett graduated with a major in Political Science and a minor in Criminal Justice on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Pickett will attend Elon University School of Law. 

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University is truly an incredible institution that inspires you to be your best each day. Inside the classroom, I received an extraordinary curriculum that challenged me and required me work hard in order to achieve my goals. Outside of the classroom, I was constantly inspired by the environment that HPU has created. Additionally, the faculty and staff at HPU truly care about each student’s success – which means a lot. And, the Career & Professional Development Office helped me throughout my law school application process. They helped with revising my resume to make me competitive for law schools and also helped with revising personal statements.Overall, HPU helped me grow stronger as a student and wiser as a person.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “There have been many mentors that have impacted my experience at HPU, however Dr. Brandon Lenoir has been my most impactful mentor. Dr. Lenoir is someone that I could go to for help with academics or just talk to about life. He was extremely helpful throughout my law school application process and eventually advised me on which law school I should attend. Dr. Lenoir helped me to grow as a person, and he will forever be a mentor in my life.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One of my most impactful moments at HPU was being selected to be a Student Justice during the end of my freshman year. The Student Justice program at High Point is very unique and prestigious, and I had the opportunity to serve as a justice for 3 years. I was able to advance in the program and had the privilege of serving as the representative of the university in both conduct and honor hearings. This experience was something that I felt honored to be apart of, and is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of all of the opportunities that HPU offers. Whether it be getting involved with a club or organization, or utilizing the office of Career & Professional Development, make sure to make the most of your experience at HPU. Although it is important to set goals and plan for the future, make sure that you don’t lose sight on the present – enjoy the your time at HPU and make the most of it.”