Class of 2017 Profile: Jordan Hutcheson Attends Graduate School for Master’s in Occupational Therapy

Name: Jordan Hutcheson

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Hutcheson graduated with a major in Exercise Science with a health and wellness concentration and a double minor in Psychology and English-Literature on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Hutcheson attends graduate school at Lenoir Rhyne University, where she is pursuing her master’s degree in Occupational Therapy.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me realize exactly what I wanted to do with my future. I came into college undecided and was unclear on what direction to take. However, with the help of my success coach and her suggestion to take classes that peaked my interests, it was through an education course that I discovered therapy and how much it aligned with what I ultimately wanted to do with my life–help others. 

The Career and Professional Development office was also a life-saver for me. I was the pitiful student that entered that office quite clueless to how to even start a resume. Elizabeth Illig sat down with me more than once, helping me with my resume and all my grad school essays. It was a result of her sacrifice of energy and effort that I was able to confidently turn in all my graduate school applications.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The mentor that had the most impact on me during my time at High Point University was my English teacher from freshman year, Mrs. Craven. I ended up meeting up with her once a week the last two years for discipleship–to read gospel-centered books and discuss them together. She was a professor that genuinely cared about who I was and my success from my first day on campus. I will never forget her desire to teach us everything she knew, her love for English came out in her teaching and it drew me in.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU for me was my acceptance into the ambassador program as a freshman and then being made an ambassador captain my senior year. Being a university ambassador during my time at HPU was so incredible. I absolutely loved getting to show potential students and their families the campus I had the honor of calling “home” the last four years. I ended up seeing some of the students I had given a tour to attending the university that next year and that was an incredibly fulfilling feeling.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Underclassmen can absolutely be successful after graduation if they put all their efforts into being successful before graduation. This does not only apply in the classroom, but outside of the classroom as well. Be a faithful student, work hard, turn in assignments you are proud of, study one more hour for that test or quiz, attempt to get more than four hours of sleep each night, exercise often, be kind, go out of your way to serve others before yourself and most importantly–enjoy every second you have on that beautiful campus, it will help you to appreciate the beauty of life so much more after graduation.”