Class of 2017 Profile: Mallory Heffelfinger Leads Her Elementary Classroom

Name: Mallory Heffelfinger

Hometown: Burlington, North Carolina

Major: Heffelfinger graduated with a major in Elementary Education on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Heffelfinger begins her role as a first grade teacher at Sylvan Elementary in Snow Camp, North Carolina. She is also attending graduate school at HPU as part of the Educational Leadership Program. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The School of Education equipped me with the skills and strategies that I need to be a highly effective teacher. I was provided with numerous opportunities that fostered my love for service and leadership in the field of education. Upon graduation, employers were highly impressed with the preparation that I received during my undergraduate years at HPU.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Mrs. Debbie Albert was my most impactful mentor at HPU. She served as my advisor, a professor, and my University Supervisor for student teaching. I came to refer to her as my “Campus Momma!” Beyond the walls of the classroom and HPU’s campus, Mrs. Albert took – and continues to take – time to mentor me personally and professionally. She has invested countless hours in helping me to become a better version of myself and a better teacher. Her thoughtful emails and coffee conversations have always provided me with the encouragement and insight that I need. I am the “Miss H” that I am today because of Mrs. Albert’s mentorship of me as a whole person.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I received my assignment for student teaching. I turned the page from my chapters of being in the classroom as a student to being in the classroom as a teacher. Ever since the day that I received my assignment, I have truly embraced being “Miss H.” The classroom is my favorite place to be!” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Always be humble and kind.”