Class of 2017 Profile: Michael Keener Joins Gartner as Account Manager

Name: Michael Keener

Hometown: Minneapolis, Minnesota 

Major: Keener graduated with a major in Strategic Communication and a minor in Philosophy on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Keener joins Gartner in Fort Myers, Florida as an account manager. In his role, Keener will work exclusively with high-tech and telecom professionals experiencing high growth. He works with clients to come up with best practices to overcome certain obstacles to help them save time, mitigate risk and increase revenue.  

How HPU helped you get there: “My time at HPU was marked with impactful mentors, fantastic friends, and dynamic classes. Every year in college, I was faced with defining obstacles that tested who I was as a person. I used the Career and Professional Development Center to help hone a proper resume and cover letter. The advisors helped me look good on paper so that I can get my foot in the door for interviews. Overall, HPU helped me to become more solidified in my beliefs, and to keep moving forward no matter how hard life gets.”  

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Jenny Lukow was easily my most impactful mentor. Professor Lukow was always there to listen to me and provide guidance no matter how busy her schedule was at the time. From academic stress to figuring out steps after college, Professor Lukow helped create a plan that was best suited for me. I cannot thank Professor Lukow enough for the amount of support she provided me during my academic career.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “During my fall semester junior year, I studied abroad in Australia through HPU’s study abroad office. Near the end of my time abroad, I traveled with some friends to the south island of New Zealand. While there, we laid in a field staring up at the sky with the beautiful mountains overlooking us. I felt unapologetically happy for where I was in life because I was finally living out my dream of living abroad. That was such a defining moment in my college career because that was the moment I realized that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to and nothing could hold me back.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “I would tell any underclassman to be yourself. Life has a tendency to test and shake our core values at times. During those times, it’s easy to feel lost as well. No matter how hectic life gets, no matter the obstacle and no matter what people say, stay true to who you are. Your individuality will take you so far in life and will help you form the path that’s best suited for you. It’s not going to be easy, but the beneficial impact this will have on your overall success down the road will be worth it. Take these four years to discover yourself, always move forward, and take the necessary actions to find happiness in your own life.”