Class of 2017 Profile: Danielle Miller Teaches for Fairfax County Schools

Name: Danielle Miller

Hometown: Landenberg, Pennsylvania

Major: Miller graduated with a major in Elementary Education on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Miller has accepted a teaching position with Fairfax County Public Schools, the 10th largest school district in America. She will begin teaching kindergarten at Fort Belvoir Primary School on a military base in Fort Belvoir, Virginia. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The school of education was resourceful in my journey through learning how to be a great teacher. I had so many teachers who were passionate about teaching and who lit the fire for my own passion. I was able to have different experiences within different school districts starting my Freshman year, which many other universities do not provide. I learned from the teachers that I observed and will be bringing ideas from these experiences into my own classroom.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Debbie Albert was hands down one of the most impactful mentors for me at HPU starting my Sophomore year of college. I started out not sure about what I wanted to pursue as my profession and by seeing Mrs. Albert’s passion for teaching, I was inspired and excited to make a difference in a child’s life. Mrs. Albert was my professor for three years and my advisor. Whenever I needed someone to talk to, whether it be my concerns or questions I had, Mrs. Albert was always there to help me out. I am so fortunate to have had such a great professor throughout my years at HPU.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was being elected Vice President for my sorority, Phi Mu. I was involved in Phi Mu since my Freshman year and this organization changed my perspective. I was given the opportunity to be presented a leadership role of a 200 member sorority and being able to make a difference for that many girls really impacted me. I had always been nervous about being a leader but through this organization, I felt confident and was able to collaborate with my peers to create a successful sorority.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize the resources that HPU provides. Take advantage of Career and Professional development, President Seminars, Campus Concierge, etc. HPU set me up for success through the variety of resources provided.”