Class of 2017 Profile: Lucas Fogaca Attends Dental School at UNC Chapel Hill

Name: Lucas Fogaca

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Major: Fogaca graduated with a major in Biology with a health science concentration on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Fogaca attends Dental School at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Since the first week of school I realized the potential it had to prepare me to achieve my goal. I met Dr. Coffield and followed his advices since the beginning. I learned that getting involved was not a hard task, all I had to do is have the initiative to do so. I think what helped me the most is getting involved in organizations of diverse focuses. It really opened many doors in different departments and more connections helped me get letters of recommendations and ideas for the application process. I also used the Career & Professional Development center to get help with my personal statement. Elizabeth Illig was a huge help on proofreading and giving me ideas focused in dentistry. She also helped me to put together a CV. ” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Neil Coffield without a doubt went from a great professor to a long lasting friend. He guided me since day one, even if he was not my advisor in the beginning, he treated me as one of his advisees. He helped me to get involved with the NC dental community and to get more shadowing experiences. Furthermore he challenged me in the classroom and always shared his graduate school memories.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The day I was inducted in the Order of the Lighted Lamp. I remember going to honors day as a freshman and seeing the recipients on stage and thought one day I would be there. Needless to say I worked hard for the following two years and was inducted during my Junior year. It really showed to myself that I was doing the best of myself and at the same time serving the school as an active student.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t hesitate to knock on someone’s door to ask for advice. They might end up being your best mentor for your next four years.”