Class of 2017 Outcomes: Chase Liebow Begins Career as Cofounder of Pluto.life

Name: Chase Liebow

Hometown: Weston, Connecticut 

Major: Liebow graduated with a major in Graphic Design and a minor in Studio Art on May 6.

Position: Liebow is one of the cofounders of Pluto.life. Pluto is a SaaS platform for businesses and individuals alike to transparently measure and improve upon their diversity & inclusion.
She’s always wanted her work to have purpose and meaning, and is super excited by the prospect of helping companies improve their social impact at this critical point in time. As a graphic designer, she was tasked to oversee web design and user interface/experience. Her role has quickly expanded to also include the BizDev/marketing side of the company, working tirelessly to campaign and advertise Pluto.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point gave me countless of opportunities to connect and grow my network, from the career fairs to being able to work the international furniture market. I was able to get real work experience and strengthen my marketing skills. I also consider my graphic design studios to have been real work experience. My professors assigned thought-provoking projects that really pushed me to design to the best of my ability. We had deadlines similar to timelines I have had to deal with in my past internships and my current job. We also had multiple critiques and students acted as fellow coworkers to give me constructive feedback. It was like working on a design team. I now have the skills to communicate with my coworkers and get the desired product for the client.” 

How you used Career & Professional Development: “Career & Professional Development helped me fine tune my resume. It was also a safe space to be able to get help and prepare for interviews. They helped me configure what questions to ask and things to know in an interview.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “That’s the thing about HPU, I didn’t have just one impactful mentor, I had many. Janis Dougherty taught me the adobe creative cloud suite from the ground up. She took the time to sit down with me and taught me everything I know about the suite. In this digital age, Allan Beaver taught me that nothing beats a pencil and paper and to always sketch. It is vital in order to create meaningful and authentic design. I can also thank Scott Raynor and Mark Brown for keeping me in tune with studio art and pushing me to be the best artist I can be. Lastly, Cherl Harrison was one of the kindest and most supportive advisors I’ve ever had and taught me how to have fun with my art and to not lose sight of your passion. I can’t thank them enough for all of the lessons they taught, I wouldn’t be where I am today without them.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “It’s hard to narrow it down to just one. However something that will stick with me for the rest of my life is when I went on the graphic design trip to New York. This is because we met my idol, Milton Glaser who is considered to be the father of Graphic Design. He is the reason I have such passion for design and find much of my inspiration in his work. We were even given the opportunity to tour Google and R/GA, a world renowned ad agency. I was also able to study abroad in Italy which opened up my world to so many new and different things. These are just a few of the invaluable experiences HPU was able to give to me.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Use the resources. HPU provides us with a caring staff, tutors, writing centers, career & professional development and more. High Point is really a one of a kind institution that cares about YOU and your success. Other colleges do not have these resources or values. Use them while you can, you’ll thank yourself later.”