HPU Awards Bieniemy Scholarship to Senior Accounting Major

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 28, 2017 – The Earl N. Phillips Schools of Business at High Point University awarded senior Emma C. Hudson with the Ollie Bieniemy Jr. Endowed Scholarship. It is one of the most prestigious scholarships offered by the School of Business.

Hudson is an accounting major with a minor in economics from Preston, Pennsylvania. She is involved in many campus activities, including serving as captain of the Women’s Rowing Team, service vice president for Alpha Phi Omega, a member of the Phillips School of Business Advisory Board, and a peer tutor for financial and managerial accounting.

Hudson currently interns at Cogent Analytics, a consulting firm in Greensboro. She hopes to work in a controller-type role, and aspires to become a CFO for a company one day. Her post-graduate goals include pursuing a CPA, as well as an MBA in international finance.

Hudson says receiving the Bieniemy Scholarship has proven to her that she’s on the right course.

“Being awarded this scholarship has shown me that the hard work I put toward my education is paying off, and the career path I have chosen is the right one for me,” Hudson says.

She adds that being active on campus has helped her immensely with time management skills, and that one of the biggest lessons she learned during her four years at HPU is how to manage her time between work, school and fun.

“I am involved in a lot and like to keep myself busy, but have never let that affect my commitment to education. H

PU has helped me to move outside of my comfort zone and experience new things,” Hudson says. “I did not row prior to coming to HPU and now it’s a major part of my senior year. Similarly, joining Alpha Phi Omega has taught me how to not only be a leader, but also to be of service to all of those around me. It has given me a new perspective on the world and showed me that you can be successful as long as you think of yourself as a server to others.”

The Bieniemy Scholarship was established in memory of Ollie Bieniemy Jr. in 2006 by gifts from industry friends and colleagues. Bieniemy was the first advertising director of Furniture|Today, the leading weekly business newspaper of the United States furniture industry, where he was an integral part of the publication’s launch in 1976. His passion for furniture and home furnishings, combined with his ability to create and implement start-up goals and strategies, resulted in Furniture|Today becoming an industry leader. Bieniemy is remembered for his marketing acumen and his personal relationship skills.

The merit-based scholarship is awarded to HPU seniors who best exemplify the values of the School of Business. Criteria for selection includes academic performance, university and community service, extracurricular activities, brightness of character and work ethic.