HPU Awards Peterson Scholarship to Senior Sales Major

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 13, 2017 – High Point University student Lauren Sanchez, a senior majoring in sales with a concentration in furniture with a visual merchandising minor and native of Silver Spring, Maryland, has been awarded with the Bill and Bonnie Peterson Endowed Scholarship for the second consecutive year.

The scholarship is awarded to students in the HPU School of Art and Design who are studying visual merchandising or interior design and plan to pursue careers in the home furnishings industry.

Established in 2001, the scholarship is named for Wilbert “Bill” Peterson, cofounder of Furniture|Today, and his wife, Bonnie. Peterson was highly regarded for his integrity, understanding of the home furnishings industry and contributions through journalism. During his career, he received many industry honors, including the Pillar of the Industry Award, the Distinguished Home Furnishings Journalism Award, and was inducted into the Furniture Writers Hall of Fame.

Sanchez has recently taken a job as a traveling sales representative for the furniture designer Rene Cazares.

“HPU has provided me with the best resources a student looking to succeed could ask for,” Sanchez says. “It has given me a chance to network myself by working with the furniture market, and it has brought me to believe that with a positive mindset, along with a hard work ethic, anyone is capable of reaching their goals. This scholarship has been a blessing showing me that my hard work and persistence is paying off. I’m so grateful to the donors who generously support students like myself.”