NC Legislators Visit HPU’s Physician Assistant Program

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 6, 2017 – High Point University Physician Assistant students and faculty welcomed members of the North Carolina House of Representatives to campus today for an inside look at the program’s achievements, a Q&A with PA students and a tour of the facilities.

Representatives John Faircloth and Amos Quick began their visit with a breakfast inside HPU’s newly constructed Congdon Hall, where Dr. Linda Sekhon, founding chair for the Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) program, welcomed everyone and gave an overview of HPU’s program and emphasis on experiential learning.

“Clinical simulation is a key focus of our program,” said Sekhon. “We present our students with an unlimited number of medical scenarios, and when my students enter those scenarios, I allow them to make mistakes. They learn more from those mistakes than anything else. If they make them now, it will prevent them from making them in real practice.”

The North Carolina Academy of Physician Assistants (NCAPA) partnered with HPU’s PA program to host Rep. Faircloth and Rep. Quick in honor of the PA profession’s 50th anniversary.

“I’m always impressed with High Point University whenever I come out and visit,” said Faircloth. “But, I’m especially impressed with the look that is being taken at the future of health care. Students here aren’t just thinking about the problems today, but the problems down the road. This program is addressing those future concerns very well.”

After opening remarks, a panel of PA students participated in a Q&A session with the legislators, sharing their reasons for joining the program and answering question about the profession and the curriculum at HPU.

“Before applying to PA school, I knew that I wanted to stay in the Triad,” said PA student Erika Ross. “I did some prerequisite work at HPU, and I fell in love with not only the campus and the staff, but how involved they are in the community. I think it’s amazing that we put roots down, not only on our campus, but in our backyard as well.”  

“Not only am I impressed—which I was expecting to be—but as a member of North Carolina’s legislature, I’m so happy to hear that you all have come from various places throughout the country to North Carolina,” said Quick. “To hear you say great things about our state and this university, makes me feel glad to represent North Carolina.”   

After the Q&A session, students took representatives on a tour of Congdon Hall, where they visited the PA program’s Problem-Based Learning (PBL) labs and watched as students work through real-world scenarios. They also visited the anatomy and simulation labs before concluding their visit.