Class of 2018 Outcomes: Matthew Tetu Leads at General Electric

Name: Matthew Tetu

Hometown: Iaconia, New Hampshire

Major: Tetu will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Sales, on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Tetu will join General Electric through the Commercial Leadership Program. In his position, Tetu will take part in the CLP’s four rotations, locating in various places around the country. His first six months will be spent at GE headquarters in Milwaukee. During the rotations, Tetu will learn the ins and outs of the products and industry, eventually acting as a full-time account representative at the completion of his fourth rotation.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me make my own path. This university has done a great job of opening me up to everything that is out there through the many clubs, activities and connections on campus. HPU has shown me the benefits of grinding through obstacles and allowed me to realize my potential. It has shown me that once you step foot on this campus you are not who you were in high school, rather you are a young professional writing your own story.

Career & Professional Development was always my go-to resource in helping me find internships and jobs to apply for. In addition to this, April Cosner and Doug Hall played enormous roles in helping me prepare for interviews and constructing my resume to stand out. Their ability to relate to me is what kept bringing me back to continue working with them throughout the process. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Akir Khan. He taught me to never let anyone tell me I can’t accomplish something and to go after what I want. I came to Akir my freshman year and told him exactly where I wanted to be when it came time to graduate in May 2018, and since then he has always been there to guide me. What started with Akir’s recommendation to be a student leader led me to acting as a student representative, serving the entirety of my junior and senior year as a leader on this campus. Akir showed me how to grind and then let me reap the benefits. He explained all of the best opportunities that I should take advantage of and the steps to get involved. Akir is a leader on this campus and in the community whose only goal is to see the success of his students. He has taught me to believe in my own abilities, take advantage of every opportunity and understand what it means to be an example. He instills confidence, speaks with passion, and wants to help everyone that he comes in contact with achieve their goals.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “During the Fall of 2017, the senior class president, Kendra Bickford and I worked with the Red Cross and the university to donate 16,000 water bottles to the relief efforts in the Caribbean. This involved growing awareness around campus and raising sufficient funds to collect, store and load up all bottles to be sent south. This experience was incredibly rewarding and I am proud I was able to make such a big difference.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The best advice I can give for underclassmen is to put yourself out there and don’t be afraid to fail. Never be too afraid or nervous about trying something new or taking on a challenge, and finally, never shy away from opportunity. With the ever-growing number of college graduates, the total number of opportunities out there are diminishing. As the quote by Colin R. Davis goes, “The road to failure and the road to success are almost the exact same.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.