Class of 2018 Outcomes: Lauren Fitch to Attend Law School at University of Maryland

Name: Lauren Fitch

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Major: Fitch will graduate with a B.A. in English with a writing concentration on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Fitch will attend the Francis King Carrey School of Law at the University of Maryland.

How HPU helped you get there: “My teachers at HPU were great at inspiring me. They challenged me when I asked for a challenge. I’ll have completed three independent studies when I graduate because I just love learning so much! 

I also went to Career & Professional Development before last summer to talk about my resume and my internships. I’ve done three internships over the course of my student career at HPU. Career and Professional development was great about helping me with my resume.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor in the music department was probably Dr. Scott Macleod. He stuck by me when I had doubts about my major, and he hasn’t stopped encouraging me all throughout my college experience. My most impactful mentor in the English department was Dr. Donna Scheidt, who encouraged me to reach high for a tier one law school even though I didn’t think I could do it.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Helping to found College Democrats of HPU and founding Freedom of Thought club are my two best achievements. The joy, friendship and activism that I have found through those clubs are amazing and a step in the right direction in the conversations that need to be had campus-wide.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Find a faculty mentor and don’t be afraid to create your own space. If I wasn’t determined to create my own space, two clubs wouldn’t exist. If you don’t like something, have the conversation and change it. Get engaged. Engage with the community, too. High Point is a wonderfully diverse city, so take advantage of that and meet as many people as you can. Those experiences will shape you into a new person! And finally, leave college different than you were when you arrived.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.