Class of 2018 Profile: Mikaela Campbell Joins NBA Headquarters

Name: Mikaela Campbell

Hometown: New Orleans, Louisiana

Major: Campbell will graduate with a B.A. in Sport Management on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Campbell will join the National Basketball Association in NYC as part of the NBA Associate Program. This two-year program for recent college graduates will allow Campbell to experience different sectors of NBA headquarters. Associates rotate through four ares of the business for six months at a time and are placed in a full-time role with one department at the completion of the program. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Every aspect of this university prepares students to go against the best of the best in the workforce. I believe the liberal arts education here is even more unique than most universities. We have more resources and connections available that allow students to get hands on experience and one-on-one time with professionals in any field students may be interested in. That in itself helped me get to where I am now. When I interned with organizations like USA Track and Field, Under Armour and IMG College, I was usually up against a field full of qualified candidates at large universities. What constantly sets me apart is the real world experience I receive at HPU and the attitude the university instilled within me to never be afraid of any challenge or new environment.

Career & Professional Development was also a crucial part of my success. Starting by helping me build my resume as a freshman, Career & Professional Development has been an essential resource in helping me present myself to employers in the most professional manner possible. This office truly has the best interest of every student and alumni in mind, and they will take the time to sit down with you as often as you may need it to make sure you feel prepared for you next interview, or they’ll help reach out to someone as a means of building your network. Dr. Doug Hall reminded me of the importance of LinkedIn before my first round interview with the NBA. Even after I graduate, I will utilizing this office and their resources online for myself and as a reference for others.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Without question, Dr. Lukow is my most impactful mentor. As my advisor, professor and head of the sport management department, she always made me excited and eager to not only learn more, but to share my knowledge with others. I could always count on her to be honest with me when I needed it and give me the courage and connections to seek the experiences I was looking for. Whether it was in her class or through a quick email, she never failed to keep me motivated and I cannot thank her enough for that.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being selected to be a part of the School of Communications Student Advisory Board. The purpose of this board is, ‘To provide input to the Dean of the School of Communication on how the school can better serve the academic and personal needs of its students.’ Board members also meet and evaluate candidates for new teaching positions during candidate searches. Seeing that the communications department entrusts in me enough to not only listen to my opinion, but also use it, showed me that no matter what stage you are at in life, you can have an impact on the world around you. This showed me the importance of always putting your best foot forward and showing others that they can entrust in you as a leader to make the appropriate decision for a larger audience.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Whether it’s going to career fairs, joining a club, attending a speaker presentation or so much more, take full advantage of the opportunities offered to you at this university, as they are everywhere! I got to where I am today by asking questions and seeking answers. Nothing was ever just handed to me, but everyone was willing to lend a helping hand when they saw how hard I was, and still am, willing to work not only in the classroom, but to become a better well-rounded individual.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.