Class of 2018: Dom Bellusci Earns Masters at Top Ranked Graduate School for Game Design

Name: Dom Bellusci

Hometown: Calgary, Alberta 

Major: Bellusci will graduate with a B.A. in Game and Interactive Media Design, on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Bellusci will attend Guildhall at Southern Methodist University, the number one graduate school for Game Design in the world according to the Princeton Review. He will earn his Master of Interactive Technology (MIT) in Digital Game Development with a focus on production. 

How HPU helped you get there: “Without the support and guidance from Professor Brian Heagney and Dr. Stefan Hall, this would not have been possible. All the classes on game theory, level design and countless conversations provided me with the drive to work on my own time. 

Career & Professional Development also helped me begin work on my resume, and I went to Dr. Doug Hall for advice on perfecting that resume later. He taught me the importance of highlighting the specific classes I’ve taken.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Stefan Hall. When I was working on my first custom zombies map in Game practicum, it was a ton of trial and error. Dr. Hall was there with me every step of the way, helping me with the design, play testing, and guided me through the entire project.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was the day I went to visit Marjorie Church in her office. I told her that I no longer wanted my major to be business. She asked me ‘What do you want to do instead?’ I told her that I was thinking video game design, and she told me that it is was a great idea and she would call my father to let him know. After the phone call we started to plan for the new classes I would need to start taking. It was impactful because I had the support of my family and my international adviser.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Follow what you want to do. Take the time to enjoy life and leave the stress in the academic buildings. If you don’t play hard, you won’t work as hard. Stay positive and apply to everything, even if you think it is out of reach.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.