HPU Announces Academic and Professional Achievements

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 5, 2018 – High Point University staff and alumni recently received the following academic and professional awards and recognitions.

Khan Recognized by Greensboro Swarm for Community Involvement

Akir Khan, HPU student leadership and success coordinator, was recognized by the Greensboro Swarm for his involvement in the community. He and other local nonprofit leaders were honored during halftime of the team’s NBA G League Community Spotlight night on Feb. 7. Khan chairs the Piedmont Interfaith Council, which promotes interfaith dialogue, understanding and appreciation of cultural differences.

“It was an honor to stand with leaders and change agents in the Triad region,” says Khan. “Through both my work at HPU and my involvement with the Piedmont Interfaith Council, I’ve seen how important it is for organizations to provide strategic leadership in the community. The NBA D League and Greensboro Swarm share a vision to build inclusive communities by visibly supporting our nonprofit consortium leaders in achieving their goals in the Piedmont Triad.”

HPU Alumnus Named One of 40 Leaders Under 40

Jeremy Hiatt, a 2010 HPU graduate, is one of this year’s 40 Leaders Under 40 according to the Triad Business Journal. Hiatt, an assurance manager for Smith Leonard PLLC, graduated from HPU with a bachelor’s degree in accounting and business finance. As a student, he was an entrepreneur who helped start a men’s clothing retailer, Port Southern, with other HPU students. He now serves on the advisory board for the Phillips School of Business.

“My time at HPU was instrumental in providing me with experiences and resources that helped guide me into my career in public accounting,” says Hiatt. “Having access to leaders who are pioneers within their industry inspired me to want to become a leader within my industry. Making key connections both at HPU and in the community, many of which I continue to rely on today, laid the foundation for a successful career long before I started as a professional with my firm.”

Pictured from left to right are Aleksandra Baran, emergency preparedness and safety coordinator at HPU; Ara Bagdasarian, CEO and founder of Omnilert; Gus Porter, environmental health, safety and preparedness manager at HPU; and Jeff Karpovich, chief and director of security and transportation at HPU.

HPU Recognized with Omnilert’s 2018 Safe Campus Award

HPU received the 2018 Safe Campus Award from Omnilert, a leading security system provider. HPU partners with Omnilert to provide emergency notification capabilities for the campus community. The university was selected from among the company’s user base for its exceptional measures to increase security and emergency response systems.

“HPU invests significant resources in campus safety and has a responsibility to ensure that members of campus can be notified of an emergency or critical incident immediately,” says Gus Porter, environmental health, safety and preparedness manager at HPU. “Omnilert has selected HPU for the Safe Campus Award in recognition of the work we’ve done in building our campus’ preparedness and notification capabilities. HPU is capable of sending a notification to all members of campus, as well as campus phones, computers, electronic message boards, Facebook, Twitter, the HPU home page and building speakers, all at the click of a button. Fortunately, HPU does not need to use this system often, but is prepared if the need to quickly notify the campus community arises.”