Class of 2018 Outcomes: Madison Sullivan Earns a Position at Wayfair

Name: Madison Sullivan

Hometown: Cohasset, Massachusetts

Major: Sullivan will graduate on May 5 with a B.A. in Communication with a concentration in Strategic Communication and a minor in Marketing.

Post-graduation plans: As a category associate at Wayfair, Sullivan will oversee several suppliers, create meaningful relationships and ensure positive trends. She will also plan marketing promotions, analyze data to promote profit growth and attend trade shows.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me so many opportunities to grow my resume. They gave me all the classes I need to succeed in my career path. HPU has countless clubs and organizations to join. I joined the American Marketing Association where I was able to have leadership roles. Acsenion336, a student-run communication agency, allowed me to work directly with clients. I also utilized Career and Professional Development from the start of my time at HPU. Doug Hall, assistant director of Career and Professional Development, helped me with my cover letter and resume. After many drafts, I was finally confident. Faith Cochran, assistant director of internships, helped prepare me for all my Wayfair interviews by preparing a specific approach customized to my personality and learning styles. Through my experiences at HPU, I was able to land a great internship and now career with Wayfair.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Professor Mims, assistant professor of communication. He was always positive and inspiring. Any time I needed advice, he was more than happy to give us feedback and edits before we handed in our final work. Professor Mims was the reason I joined Ascenion336, where I gained amazing real-world experience planning marketing campaigns. This opportunity was great to add to my resume and helped me earn my internship with BKM Marketing.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was the day I joined Kappa Delta sorority. The sorority has positively impacted my grades, my friendships, my career and almost every aspect of my life. Without Kappa Delta, I would not have met Lydia Prior, an alumni from my chapter who helped me get my job at Wayfair. Kappa Delta has always inspired me to keep my GPA up, and when I needed help there have always been so many fellow sorority members offering to tutor me or edit a paper.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I recommend taking advantage of all the amazing opportunities High Point University has to offer. Take all the classes that interest you. Even if it seems difficult at first, it’s worth it. Listen to all the speakers that come to campus and attend all the extraordinary events.”

Commencement is just around the corner, and many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.