Class of 2018 Outcomes: Psychology Major Pursues Master Degree

Name: Nia Page

Hometown: Windermere, Florida

Major: Page will graduate with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Women’s and Gender Studies, on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Page plans to attend graduate school at Rollins College. She plans to earn a Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me prepare for my future and achieve my goals. It has allowed me to grow in a way that is very special. I have been able to grow academically in a personal sense that has allowed me to see the value of building productive relationships with my superiors. HPU has allowed me to see the benefits of being involved on campus and the rewards of hard work and persistence.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “There are three professors that have truly shaped and impacted the student and the woman that I am today. They are Dr. Jenn Brandt, Dr. Judy Isaksen and Dr. Sarah Ross. Each of these professors has changed the way that I think, not only in an academic sense, but in a real-world sense, too. They have all contributed to shaping the ways I want to move forward in my professional life. They have taught me the importance of always remaining an advocate for myself as I navigate the real world. They have taught me the importance of being locked into social issues and inspired me to keep pushing for social change at the forefront of how I live my life. I would absolutely consider all of them my mentors for different reasons, and I will forever be grateful for their guidance and for challenging the way that I think. It has made me a better person.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Although my most impactful moment at High Point University took place away from the campus itself, it was through HPU that I grew in my study abroad experience. Now, almost two years later, my study abroad experience in London is still heavy on my heart in the most special way. The people that I met, the sights I saw and the experiences I had will never be forgotten. I am more grateful than words can describe for this time in my life, and I hope many people can get the chance to study abroad.”

Advice for underclassmen: “You should have fun, and experience as much as you can during your time at HPU, but be smart. Be smart about how you maintain the right balance of preparing for your future and making the most of your present. Each year it becomes more and more competitive to seek out jobs after graduation or to attend graduate school. What you do now will impact the access and opportunities that you will have after graduation. So, always remember why you’re at HPU! I also can’t stress enough the importance of not only staying connected with professors who have contributed a lot to your academic experience, but the alumni in your respective fields. Whether you just need advice on how to tackle that job, how to create a professional school application, or if you’re looking to network with intent to join a company/program that an alumni is part of, it is important to know the people who have already been through these processes. They may offer valuable advice and feedback to you that didn’t even know you needed!”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.