Students Make Professional Connections at High Point Market

market

Jackie Musso stands in front of the La-Z-Boy Casegoods showroom, where she works with clients selling furniture at the High Point Market.

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 18, 2018 – The High Point Furniture Market is a vibrant, fast-paced environment with thousands of industry experts from across the globe in attendance. It’s also a place for High Point University students to gain life skills among professionals in the furniture, sales and interior design sectors.

Networking with industry professionals at High Point Market is one of many opportunities students seize. Located in downtown High Point, just minutes from HPU’s campus, furniture market offers students a real-world setting to hone their professional skills through experiential learning. Networking in a professional setting provides them with life skills they can take to any career field.

Jackie Musso, a senior majoring in interior design, says that she’s gained experience with another side of the interior design industry by working at the La-Z-Boy Casegoods showroom.

“After graduating, I want to work as either a residential or commercial interior designer,” says Musso. “Working at the showroom has allowed me to gain experience with different types of furniture and how the furniture sales industry works. That has expanded what I have already learned about lighting fixtures, furniture and more from my major.”

Working at Olliix showroom, Gabi Berger, a senior majoring in visual merchandising, has also gained experiences and connections she can take with her after graduation.

“Working in the Olliix showroom has allowed me to get an inside look at the way that showrooms are designed in the furniture industry,” says Berger. “I have also been able to connect with a lot of professionals in the furniture industry.”

But the skills that students build at market span beyond the furniture industry. Briana Jean-Charles, a senior majoring in exercise science, says working at market gives her a chance to build interpersonal communication skills that will be key when she begins her career in health care.

“My mentors in the Congdon School of Health Sciences have pushed me to step outside my comfort zone during my time at HPU,” says Jean-Charles. “In exercise science, you don’t get many opportunities to work with people like you do at Furniture Market. Working at the Designmaster showroom has given me a chance to practice communicating with others in a professional setting as part of a team. One day, I’ll apply those same skills as a nurse.”