Class of 2018 Outcomes: Austin Schultz Begins Career at Amgen Inc.

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Austin Schultz

Hometown: Westlake Village, California

Major: Schultz graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration and minors in Sales, Finance and Economics.

Post-graduation plans: Schultz will work as a finance associate at Amgen Inc. in Thousand Oaks, California. As a finance associate, he will have the opportunity to support functions such as global commercial operations, research and development and tax and finance organizations. Within these functions, he will complete projects related to product discounting strategy, pipeline molecule valuation, resource allocation strategies, variance analyses and/or industry benchmarking analyses. He will also support finance managers on tasks such as monthly close, monthly forecasting and ad-hoc projects related to the company’s business operations.

How HPU helped you get there: “There are so many opportunities here at HPU to get involved in. Being part of Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity, and the Floyd T. Craven Investment Club allowed me to develop my analytical and leadership skills. Also, being a peer career advisor for Career and Professional Development gave me the opportunity to help students with resume advice and tips.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “All of the faculty at HPU were very involved in helping me prepare for a career. Professor Larry Quinn did an excellent job of teaching me how to be aggressive and to use the proper techniques to having a successful interview.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was becoming a brother of the Kappa Alpha Order – Zeta Phi chapter. The relationships and memories I have made will last a lifetime, as well as the impact I have made on others. Being part of our Operation KARE initiative that helps wounded veterans has been my most impactful moment at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved with clubs and organizations on campus; there are great leadership opportunities that could help you get the big internship you are looking for. In addition, start early and build connections within the company you’re applying to. This goes a long way and could eventually get you the job.”