Class of 2018 Outcomes: Brooke Stevens Heads to Graduate School

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Brooke Stevens

Hometown: Catonsville, Maryland

Major: Stevens graduated with a B.S. in Exercise Science and a minor in Psychology.

Post-graduation plans: Stevens now attends the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware, where she will earn a doctorate degree in physical therapy as part of their Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.

How HPU helped you get there: “The classes and professors at HPU have helped me develop into both a better student and person, which has led me to achieving my goal of going to graduate school. I had the awesome opportunity to do undergraduate research in the Biomechanics Lab. It gave me real-world experience through conducting experiments in the lab as well as writing scientific papers that will soon be published. I also was on the women’s lacrosse team during my time at HPU. I gained many valuable life skills including time management, leadership and a strong work ethic. I also used Career and Professional Development to help me perfect my resume. They helped a lot with my graduate school application process, essays for my applications and narrowing down which schools to apply. All of my experiences here have helped prepare me for my future as a physical therapist.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “While I have had many different mentors during my time here at HPU, my most impactful mentor has been Dr. Nguyen, assistant professor in the department of athletic training. He always encouraged me and supported me through my application and interview process for graduate school. He always believed in me even when I wasn’t confident in myself, and did everything he could to make sure I was fully prepared. I also had the pleasure of having him as a professor. Not only has he been a great mentor and professor, but he also was a big part in helping me rehabilitate from my knee surgeries. He took time out of his very busy schedule to treat my pain and make sure I was at my best on the lacrosse field. Dr. Nguyen has had a big impact on my last few years here at HPU and was instrumental in helping me achieve my goals both on and off the field.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was being exposed to the Biomechanics Lab during my freshman year. Throughout my time here, I have been able to use the lab for many different things. The first time I was in the lab, I worked with Dr. Dischiavi rehabbing my knee following a surgery. After that, I had multiple classes during my freshman, sophomore and junior year where we used the equipment in the lab for different experiments. Finally, during my senior year I was able to do undergraduate research and conduct experiments with Dr. Carriker in the lab. Seeing and being able to use all of the new technology in the lab was beneficial to my future as a physical therapist. Also, working with the physical therapists and seeing what they do piqued my interest in pursuing physical therapy as a career. All of the staff in the lab were extremely helpful and were a key part of helping me reach my goal of going to graduate school for physical therapy.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved in as many activities, clubs and groups as possible. Take advantage of all of the amazing things this school has to offer because the four years flies by quicker than you can imagine. Connect with other students, professors and anyone you meet during your time here because you never know how they will be able to help you in the future.”