Class of 2018 Outcomes: Devin Treger Lands a Position at Charles Aris Inc.

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Devin Treger

Hometown: Woodbridge, Virginia

Major: Treger graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration and minors in Marketing, Sales and Global Commerce.

Post-graduation plans: As an associate recruiter at Charles Aris Inc. in Greensboro, North Carolina, she will be responsible for vetting candidates with clients’ precise requirements in mind. Treger will also locate and hire prospective leaders who are qualified, available and interested in each position.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me succeed in not only feeling ready to launch my career, but actually being ready to launch my career. I am confident that I will bring relevant skills and capabilities to my role and to my company thanks to my professors who are experts in the business and sales industries. Through my involvement in organizations on campus, I’ve become prepared to tackle many challenges. Through my sorority, Kappa Delta, I gained leadership experience as the vice president of finance, where I learned to manage money for an organization of over 150 women. I also joined the professional business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, which gave me incredible opportunities to enhance and improve my interview skills and professional development. Additionally, the Entrepreneurship Club gave me the chance to participate in an Elevator Pitch Competition, where I pitched a business idea to several peers and investors. The Professional Selling Club also gave me numerous opportunities to speed sell, network and practice interviewing. I can’t thank High Point enough for providing me so many opportunities to discover myself and grow as a young professional. Another resource I tapped into was the Office of Career and Professional Development. In my early stages at HPU, I frequented their office to develop my resume. As I progressed in my business degree, I started going to their office for help building my LinkedIn profile. I even stopped by to have them proofread cover letters and job applications that included writing samples or short answer questions. The Career and Professional Development team visited my business classes often, giving presentations on how to best dress, interview and network. Without them, I would not have grown so confident in myself and my abilities to advocate and market myself for the opportunities that are exciting to me and relevant to my career goals.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was definitely Kathy Elliott. I took the entrepreneurship course called business modeling and feasibility with her, and I was so inspired by what I learned. I had the opportunity to develop a business model and plan for a therapeutic yoga studio, which is a real-life dream of mine. I got to lead a team of four people and brainstorm the modeling and feasibility of various versions of my business idea. Elliott encouraged me to participate in the Elevator Pitch Competition, which is something I never would have had the courage to do without her encouragement. She helped and guided me through the process and helped me feel confident in my abilities. Without her, I may have lost sight of the creative and entrepreneurial side of myself.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU was when I was offered the chance to become the school’s yoga instructor. I remember the moment vividly. I was a sophomore who was still figuring out my path when the opportunity presented itself. I went on to earn my Yoga Alliance 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Certification, and the rest is history. In my three years instructing yoga for several students and organizations at HPU, I have truly crafted a personal brand and client-base. I’ve created new yoga classes, I’ve developed meditation-centered behavioral programs for non-profits, and I’ve provided countless college students with tools to manage stress, emotions and physical tension. Instructing yoga has become more than just a hobby or part-time job for me; it’s allowed me to find my purpose and give back to the community. I am so thankful to HPU for giving me the opportunity to grow as a health and wellness professional, and I can’t wait to apply these skills to my own yoga business post-graduation.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest piece of advice to underclassmen would be to find things that fuel your spark. While you may expect yourself to become a biologist or accountant, there may be some hidden passions in between those visions. Aside from aiming towards a dream career, also discover the little things that make you happy — a pottery course, an intramural sports team, or a volunteer project. We can easily fall into autopilot when pursuing degrees and picture-perfect futures, but it’s important to tap into the areas of ourselves that are satisfied by other things. If you were to ask me, happiness is step number one to achieving success. Without happiness, we can’t find long-term success. Find something that makes you happy, and the rest will simply fall into place. Another piece of advice that I will offer is to try your hardest to follow the beat of your own drum. There are so many pressures that surround us in college, but we can only ever truly rely on ourselves. If you know who you are, what your goals are, and the activities you need to do to achieve them, pursue those activities with all of your energy and forget the rest. Lastly, use the resources at HPU. We have so many tools at our fingertips that current professionals would kill for in their corporate office. Go to the library, ask for help when you need it and never feel embarrassed to not know the answer. Someone in reach is very eager to help you.”