Class of 2018 Profile: Michaela Mucha Sets Her Sights on Walt Disney Career

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Michaela Mucha

Hometown: Havre de Grace, Maryland

Major: Mucha graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design and minors in Computer Science and Mathematics.

Post-graduation plans: As a graphic design professional intern at The Walt Disney World Company in Orlando, Florida, Mucha designs materials for food and beverage locations within Walt Disney World Resort’s multiple dining locations in Orlando.

How HPU helped you get there: “I can honestly go on and on about how HPU has impacted my personal and professional life. I’ve taken advantage of all the opportunities HPU has provided to me, through working as a student concierge, a resident assistant, a graphic designer, mentor, leader, intern and much, much more. I’ve grown in character, leadership and professionalism in my four years on campus, and for that I’m incredibly grateful and proud of how HPU has shaped me to be who I am today. In addition, Career and Professional Development helped me to improve my resume and educated me on follow-up etiquette. You can’t just sit back and wait for a response after applying to an internship. You need to follow-up, send thank you cards and more to stand out in the sea of applicants!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Professor Allan Beaver. Professor Beaver truly believed in me like no else and saw in me incredible potential as a graphic designer. He pushed me to be my best, and as a result, I became my best.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most meaningful and impactful contribution I’ve made to the HPU community is without a doubt, my involvement with Food Recovery Network, a student movement against food waste and hunger within the city of High Point. Three times a week, I met with other volunteers of Food Recovery Network to bag the surplus of food on campus and transport the food to our donation partners. They include Open Door Ministries, Leslie’s House, Salvation Army Women’s Shelter and Community Writing Center. As Food Recovery Network’s President, I worked to get the organization chartered with our Student Government Association and worked to add The Cafe as a part of our recovery locations to continue to minimize the amount of food waste from campus dining. Through being a consistent volunteer, I created lasting friendships with not only my fellow volunteers, but with those employed through Aramark who work in kitchens where we recover the food! Since my presidency, the organization has donated nearly 8,7000 meals to the community. I’m so incredibly proud and honored to have been a part of this student-run organization that works diligently to end hunger in our city.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Begin applying to jobs or internships early! Don’t procrastinate; make it your mission to apply to an internship once a week, or even better, every other day. If you’ve held any past internship positions, continue to keep in contact with your past supervisor/employer to re-establish relationships and keep connections that can help you with landing positions within that company!”