Class of 2018 Outcomes: Tiffany Adams Takes a Position at Volkswagen

Name: Tiffany Adams

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Adams will graduate on May 5 with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration and a minor in Finance and Global Commerce.

Post-graduation plans: As a VCI financial analyst at Volkswagen Group of America in Herndon, Virginia, Adams will rotate through several departments over the course of two years, including financial planning and reporting, controlling, pricing and accounting. Her duties will include assisting in the operation of financial models, working on major report assignments and assisting the product and pricing team.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has played an essential role in shaping the person I am today. I have been extremely lucky to be able to participate in so many different aspects of campus life, such as the Student Government Association, Campus Activities Team, Student Justice Program, Greek Life and HPU Recreation. All of these experiences have contributed to my growth, not only from a career standpoint, but on a personal level as well. My classes, extracurricular involvement and relationships have molded me into a well-rounded individual who is confident and capable of entering the workforce. I also utilized Career and Professional Development where I took the Strengths Assessment with April Cosner, my career advisor at HPU, which was extremely helpful. I took this assessment prior to beginning the interview stage of my job search, and because I had discussed my strengths/weaknesses with April, when I went into an interview I was able to be open and honest about my weaknesses yet still speak confidently about my strengths.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have been fortunate enough to have several fantastic mentors, including Peyton Davis and Summer Chandler in the Office of Student Life, as well as Austin Wilson and Amy Reynal in the Recreation Department. My most impactful mentor was my Success Coach, Akir Khan. From the first week of freshman year, he saw potential in me that I had not yet seen in myself. His constant encouragement, guidance and exposure to leadership opportunities were crucial to my personal and professional development, and I am incredibly grateful to be lucky enough to call him one of my mentors.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University has been my journey to getting my scuba certification. It was a long road, consisting of scuba diving sessions in the pool during the cold winter months. However, as many before me have said, ‘It is about the destination, not the journey.’ All of those nights spent at the bottom of Millis Pool paid off when I passed my open water dive. After two mornings of diving in the depths of the High Point Quarry, I accomplished my dreams of becoming a PADI Certified Scuba Diver, and I have High Point University to thank for this incredible opportunity.”

Advice for underclassmen: “These next few years are a period of significant transformation and growth, and contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to have everything figured out by the end of college. You will never again have as much freedom, with as little responsibility, as you do in college. Take advantage of it. Seek out opportunities to meet new people and try new things. Make mistakes while you’re still young, but learn from them when you do. Don’t waste a minute of your time at HPU, because it will be over before you know it. You don’t want to look back on your past four years and wish you experienced more.”

Commencement is just around the corner, and many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.