Internship Outcomes: Casey Koslosky Interns at Student Veterans of America

Name: Casey Koslosky

Hometown: San Anselmo, California

Major: Political Science

Internship: Koslosky helps to track and summarize legislation for the policy team, as well as attend congressional hearings and meetings with external partners. Every day is unique, some days she lobbies on Capitol Hill all day and other days she collaborates on legislation from the office. Koslosky enjoys her job because she has learned so much about the issues student veterans in higher education face and she is able to learn the process of implementing policy. She also tracks and summarizes legislative and executive branch proposals in assigned issue areas and monitors legislative developments within committees. In addition, Kolosky’s position is responsible for preparing for, attending and summarizing the outcomes of congressional committee hearings and meetings with external partners. Her other duties include providing information on and generating ideas for press, mass mailings and newsletters.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has given me the resources and contacts to push myself and chase these opportunities. There are so many resources and people who are ready to help, but you have to push yourself to take advantage of the opportunities.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The professors in the political science department have taught me so much, helped me explore careers in the political science field and helped me develop life skills in my profession. Dr. Setzler and Dr. Yanus been incredible mentors who have consistently guided me. Dr. Setzler and I always have fruitful conversations that push me to start planning for my post-grad career, and Dr. Yanus has helped me to develop my writing and policy analysis skills. I use many skills that I learned from their classes daily during my internship with Student Veterans of America.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future: “It has been incredible to get hands on experience in a position I would like to have someday. Every day is different and my internship provides me with incredible opportunities I couldn’t have anywhere else. I have been to several closed committee hearings, premieres of documentaries, and even led a meeting with my local congressman. Everything I have learned and experienced has given me the tools to succeed after graduation. I have enjoyed my experience so much that I extended my internship and hope to come back to Washington after graduation!”