Class of 2018 Outcomes: Alan Vasquez Soto Pursues PhD at Chapel Hill

chapel hill

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Alan Vasquez Soto

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Major: Vasquez Soto graduated with a B.S physics and a B.A computer science with a minor in mathematics.

Post-graduation plans: Vasquez Soto will attend the UNC Chapel Hill to pursue his PhD Physics.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU definitely prepared me in the way of life skills. I remember being this somewhat shy student going into college. As I grew at HPU, I very quickly became more outgoing and confident in how I carried myself. The faculty, especially in physics, were phenomenal in mentoring me in a way that gave me a considerable advantage over undergraduate students at other universities. This became very clear when I landed an awesome internship with a company called Greenway Solutions in Charlotte, North Carolina, where I interacted with Fortune 500 companies. Later, I went on to be accepted into my top choice graduate school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is without a doubt Dr. Brad Barlow. He has mentored me for undergraduate research projects and provided numerous opportunities for experiential learning, including traveling to the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Co-organizing HPUniverse Day with my mentor, Dr. Barlow, was impactful for me. When I saw all of the kids at our event getting excited about the cool things you can do with science. I can’t quite describe how fulfilling that moment was, but I knew I was impacting at least one child to become a scientist one day.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of all the opportunities thrown at you! High Point University is a gold mine of opportunity. I can list at least 10 things I would never have thought of doing or participating in had I not gone to HPU.”