Class of 2018 Outcomes: Sarah Granda Begins Career at Buena Vista Estate

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Sarah Granda

Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware

Major: Granda graduated with a B.A. in Communication with a concentration in Strategic Communication and a minor in Event Management.

Post-graduation plans: As an executive organizer for the Buena Vista Estate in New Castle, Delaware, Granda will be working in a small team of three to four people to help coordinate meetings, conferences and events for the state of Delaware. The estate is owned by Delaware, so she and her peers will often be creating and hosting events for the governor and senator. Granda says the position will be an amazing stepping stone for entering the events industry.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University allowed me to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Without the help of my mentors and my peers, I would not be as confident as I am today. HPU has given me a strong and challenging curriculum to push myself to reach new heights, letting me explore the unknown. I have gained the confidence and courage to speak in front of large crowds, to voice my opinions and to lead a group of my peers without hesitation. In addition, the Career & Professional Development team has also helped me since my sophomore year. When I tried to create my first resume, I brought it to their office, and instead of pointing out how much I needed to improve it, they taught me how to create a professional resume. The office has continued to support me, show me how to conduct myself during an interview and much more. While searching for a job, Kellie McLeod showed me how to utilize LinkedIn as well as my network to find a job. She actually drew out a chart — since I am such a visual learner — that helped me see how to find a career.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Vern Biaett has been the most impactful mentor here at High Point University. Earlier this semester, Dr. Biaett invited me to his office to discuss post graduation plans and give me advice as a soon-to-be graduate. He has gone over my resume countless times to make sure it fits well with the event industry as it is constantly changing. We have done mock interviews so I feel more confident than ever, and he’s given me useful information such as websites I can learn from and tips for networking. Dr. Biaett is practically a superstar. Everyone in the events industry knows him, and he has done every type of event, knows the ins and outs of the industry, and continues to teach young minds how to take the world and make it theirs. Dr. Biaett is the professor who really showed me what the profession is all about. He showed me that it’s not all glitz and glam, that it is hard work, but it’s worth it. Dr. Biaett is the reason I want to become a corporate event manager for a Fortune 500 company.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Becoming a resident assistant has been one of the most impactful and life changing experiences I had at HPU. As a first-year RA, I was in the Women’s Complex, which I found to be the most challenging yet most rewarding. My entire sophomore year, I had to honor of shaping the environment where first-year residents live. I helped them to explore their independence and freedom while still being there when they needed a helping hand. I was there as a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear when needed. My entire sophomore year was one large impactful moment. I had the ability to help change the lives of many worried, homesick and unsure girls who I now believe are strong, confident women.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Finding your place may seem easy at first, but you need to remember to challenge yourself. Allow yourself to explore new opportunities or discover a new hobby you never thought you’d enjoy. Pushing yourself beyond your limitations will show potential employers that you’re a force to be reckoned with. Take your weaknesses and use them to your advantage. Knowing your weaknesses is your biggest strength.”