Internship Outcomes: Eva Greengrove Researches at Duke University

Name: Eva Greengrove

Hometown: Raleigh, NC

Year: Rising Senior

Major: Psychology and Biology

Internship: As a research intern at the Nicholas School of Environment at Duke University, Greengrove works with The Superfund Center, a program under the EPA to clean up hazardous waste sites. This center has hundreds of research sites at universities across the country searching for solutions to the complicated health and environmental issues associated with chemicals found at these hazardous waste sites. Duke’s Superfund Center has five ongoing projects focused on low-dose exposures to toxins and their developmental impacts that are usually only evident during later life stages. Greengrove will be working under the first project, which investigates how behavioral and neurochemical endpoints are impacted by prenatal exposures to contaminants, such as the pesticide Diazinon.

How HPU helped you get there: “Because of the Research Rookie program, I became involved in undergraduate research with the School of Pharmacy at HPU. Through my research advisor, Dr. Marshall, I am investigating how nondependent alcohol consumption impacts the brain, specifically the neuroimmune system. This opportunity has not only given me lab experience, but also the ability to present findings at national conferences.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My research advisor, Dr. Alex Marshall, has done nothing but encourage and support me. He definitely challenges me with independent projects but is always there to guide me when I need it.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship is building on my prior research experience of how neurotoxins affect the brain. Instead of focusing on adolescent and adult consequences, I am investigating the effects of prenatal exposure to toxic chemicals.”