Class of 2018 Outcomes: Kaylee Chulla Pursues Graduate Degree in Developmental Psychology

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Kaylee Chulla

Hometown: Creedmoor, North Carolina

Major: Chulla graduated with a B.S. in psychology with a minor in religion.

Post-graduation plans: Chulla attends George Mason University in Fairfax, Virgina, where she is pursuing her graduate degree in applied developmental psychology.

How HPU helped you get there: “With the guidance of academic advisors, research mentors and Career and Professional Development, I have been able to achieve my dream of furthering my education in psychology. My mentors have helped me every step of the way. My academic advisor, Dr. Lipowski, helped me form my thoughts about which schools to apply to and helped me to write a personal statement that accurately reflected my future goals. Career and Professional Development helped me to revise and perfect my applications and interview strategies to get to this point. I thoroughly believe that the process of applying to graduate school would have been nearly impossible without their help! With the knowledge of the staff, I felt prepared for all of my graduate school interviews and confident that I would be reflecting my education from HPU.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Mrs. Carmen Eby is an adjunct professor of clarinet at HPU and has coached me through my four years at the university. When I started taking clarinet lessons with Mrs. Eby, I never knew how great of an experience it was going to be. Through being in her studio, I was able to share the love of music with the university and her community outreach events at Brighton Gardens Retirement Home. She not only helped me to become a significantly better musician, but she helped me through all of the ups and downs that came with being a college student. Without her guidance, I would not be the musician or the person I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was watching my little sister from the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program grow into the beautiful young lady she is today. I had the wonderful opportunity to mentor a girl from the High Point community for three years. Every Tuesday, I went to visit her, and it never seemed to be enough for me. I never realized the impact of my mentoring until it was time for me to graduate. In the three years I have been her Big Sister, she has matured significantly in social settings, and I’ve seen her work harder toward school because she wants to be like me and go to HPU when she”s older. The impact we had on each other will never be forgotten.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be your own person. During freshman year, it is so easy to follow what everyone else is doing. However, there is no greater reward than doing the things that you want to do. Don’t let yourself miss out on something because your friends didn’t want to go. There is nothing wrong with doing something by yourself. Take this time to explore all that HPU has to offer through clubs, sports and other activities. I promise you won’t regret that.”