Class of 2018 Outcomes: Nordstrom Recruits Madeline Travell

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Madeline Travell

Hometown: Middleburg, Virginia

Major: Travell graduated with a B.A. in graphic design and a minor in visual merchandising design.

Post-graduation plans: As a visual merchandiser at Nordstrom in Pentagon City, Virginia, Travell is enthusiastic and knowledgeable about fashion and art and committed to providing outstanding customer service every day. Travell is responsible for partnering with the visual merchandising manager and in-store merchants to achieve strategic company objectives and visual merchandising consistency. 

How HPU helped you get there: “My professors truly inspired me and allowed me to believe in myself and be able to see the bigger picture of what I am capable of. I have gained skills that have contributed to my new career as well. The environment at HPU is dedicated to preparing students for a career and fosters that mentality. In addition, Career and Professional Development helped me by providing online literature on topics like how to prepare for an interview.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My Campus Concierge supervisor and team. Working with Campus Concierge taught me skills that are transferable to everyday life in the workforce, such as conflict resolution and communicating clearly and effectively throughout multiple channels of correspondence including email, phone, in-person, etc. My experiences have also elevated the importance of professionalism for me personally.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Deciding to change my major from business administration to graphic design with a minor in visual merchandising design was impactful. My advisor, Dr. Turpin, made all this possible. He instrumented my program change seamlessly by making a semester-by-semester plan so that I could graduate on time. It was his suggestion to pair graphic design and visual merchandising, and I am so grateful that he was my advisor because his meticulous attention to course registration helped me have a great experience at HPU. Dr. Brown from the visual merchandising department had unique classes that were my favorite because they were focused on the fashion side of visual merchandising, as well as real world applications. We were able to create displays for ShowTime at the High Point Market and conceptualize the wall in Norton throughout the semester. I was also able to redesign the concept and layout of a store in the Friendly Center. Her projects were innovative and made us problem solve issues that occur with businesses we see everyday.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Have conversations with professionals about what you want to do, even if you do not have the slightest idea of what you want to do. It’s helpful to be able to express your interests and passions. You never know where you will meet connections and have the opportunity to network. HPU is teeming with resources, advice and a great network.”