Internship Outcomes: Alex Angle Interns with the United States Postal Service

Name: Alex Angle

Hometown: Mercersburg, Pennsylvania

Year: Rising junior

Major: Business Administration

Internship: As a safety intern with the United States Postal Service, Angle works with safety managers to review project plans to achieve assignment goals, including understanding project activities, deadlines and key stakeholders. He also develops documents, files and materials as needed for safety projects and writes instructions, records activities and verifies accuracy and comprehensiveness of information. Angle assists with preparing and facilitating meetings, working sessions and focus groups as necessary to gather and compile information for the projects, while researching information for use in project planning and developing project materials and documents.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me to get to where I am now by providing me with professors that fully support for me. I want to thank Dr. Amy MacArthur and Bob Hirth, who were professors on my Global Business Maymester, for always showing support and care towards my internship process while overseas with me. Dr. MacArthur showed a lot of support and gave me insights on how to contact the Postal Service from overseas and ensured me that I should not have any problems rescheduling tests and regulations until the day that I got back from the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. They really are great professors, and they allowed me to have a stress free Maymester experience and helped to encourage and support me through the process of landing my internship with the United States Postal Service.”

How you used Career & Professional Development: Career and Professional Development has helped me to both refine and excel at creating resumes and cover letters in order to appeal to the specific needs of each employer that I wish to target. I have visited Career and Professional Development several times to improve my resume and it has helped me tremendously when applying to internships.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Dr. Prestwood. She was my professor for the principles of management course during the beginning of my sophomore year. She showed a lot of enthusiasm and determination for her course, which allowed me to put everything I had into the course and learn as much as possible to make her proud. Every time that she sees me, I am welcomed with a warm smile and encouragement toward a new club that I am trying to bring to campus called the Real World Club. She is always interested in how I am doing and is always willing to give advice when needed.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has provided me with a lot of useful information for my future career. This internship is key for me because I am dedicated to becoming a postal inspector in the future and being able to work closely with safety managers. Communicating with current postal inspectors is essential to my future success. The day-to-day routine of a safety intern has allowed me to see how important it is to have everything perfect because someone could be injured from the simplest of mistakes. I have learned that it is essential for any business to keep regulations up to date in order to keep their employees safe. This internship has allowed me to have a whole new outlook on businesses, and it will forever help me succeed in the line of business and safety.”