Class of 2018 Outcomes: Eleanor Albert Coordinates Marketing at the Maryland Jockey Club

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Eleanor Albert

Hometown: Ruxton, Maryland

Major: Albert graduated with B.S. in visual merchandising design and a minor in environmental studies.

Post-graduation plans: Albert works as marketing coordinator for the Maryland Jockey Club (MJC) in Laurel, Maryland. As the marketing coordinator, Albert works alongside the marketing department to promote upcoming events, such as the Preakness Stakes, and attends events to make sure everything goes smoothly. Her day-to-day tasks include sending out weekly email blasts that include the latest press releases, race video and upcoming events. Albert also creates information sheets for every race day that go out to all MJC staff and get printed for the public.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University gave me the tools to be confident and taught me out to apply my strengths to my current position. I have become more willing to put myself out there and try new opportunities thanks for HPU. Career and Professional Development was an important resource, helping me get my resume in order. From freshmen year to senior year, they helped guide and shape my resume so that it would be ready for potential employers. They also taught me how to craft the perfect cover letter. I had never seen one before and was worried when I saw so many internship and job applications requiring them. Thankfully, I was guided by the Career and Professional Development team through every step of the cover letter writing process.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Victoria Brown. Whether it was in class or outside of class, she was always there with an encouraging word. She would look at my projects, even if they were from a different class, and helped me organize my portfolio and decide what to send to potential employers.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I was given the honor of being be a Junior Marshall. Participating in commencement and graduation ceremonies was a wonderful experience. Not only did I get a sneak peak at how graduation worked the year before it was my turn to cross the stage, but I also got to be a part of my friends’ graduation day.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Always keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities. You never know who might be a helpful contact down the road. I heard about my job through a friend I happened to sit next to in my marketing class!”