Class of 2018 Outcomes: Katie McKenna Accepts Position with WHDH 7 News in Boston

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Katie McKenna

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Katie McKenna

Hometown: Tewksbury, Massachusetts 

Major: McKenna graduated with a major in Communication with a focus in electronic media production and a minor in business administration

Post-graduation plans: McKenna will be in Boston, Massachusetts working at WHDH 7 News in the graphics department as a graphics operator. She will be assisting in the control room to lay out and design fullscreen graphics, as well as creating live playouts for lower-thirds, images and maps during the show.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has been such a big part of my life, and it is the reason that I have gotten where I am today. Without all the amazing people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve had, I wouldn’t be the person I am. HPU taught me how to become an independent, professional and successful person; it transformed me to be stronger and better. I’m forever thankful for all the opportunities that came my way, and the people who went through them with me. I am also extremely thankful for Dr. Doug Hall in Career and Professional Development. He helped me with every single aspect of the job process. He worked with me on my resume, cover letter, where I should be applying and my interviewing skills. I wouldn’t have some of the opportunities that I got without his help!”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was the entire communications department. From my advisor Jim Goodman, who talked with me and helped me pick classes to benefit my future, to the professors like Joe Michaels, Steve Harvey, Martin Yount and Dr. Jim Trammell who taught me everything I wanted or needed to learn. They helped me realize what my passion is, and what I am good at. Some of them even helped with my resume and my interviewing skills for going into my field. They never gave up on me and they all gave me opportunities that helped me get to where I am.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my sophomore year in the class Video Production 1. We used the state-of-the-art news studio and control room for the first time, and I was amazed by it. I knew that being in an environment like that was something I wanted to be involved in and be a part of my future career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never give up on your dreams! Make connections and don’t be afraid to use them. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way at HPU because you never know how they can be of help to you in the future.”