Class of 2018 Outcomes: Victoria Cotnoir Commences Marketing and Design Career

Class of 2018 outcomes

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Victoria Cotnoir

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Major: Cotnoir graduated with a B.A. in strategic communication and a minor in graphic design.

Post-graduation plans: Cotnoir joins North Carolina Theatre Conference as the marketing manager and graphic designer. In her role, she will plan and design all marketing materials for NCTC, whose mission is to champion a theatre industry that is strong, sustainable, innovative, collaborative and connected. Cotnoir will uphold these standards by creating captivating and vibrant content to keep industry members connected and educated through web design, graphic design, social media marketing and digital media marketing. 

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me achieve my career goals by giving me a holistic education and real industry advice from educators. My professors in communication and graphic design never hesitated to constructively critique my work with my success as their main goal. If I had never received real and honest advice, I wouldn’t have known how to improve my design and writing skills. Because of their critique, I am able to independently design graphics for marketing materials and NCTC’s website. There was also the Office of Career and Professional Development who helped me along the way. Before I joined the School of Art and Design, I was hopeless when it came to resume design. However, reaching out to Career & Professional Development helped me create a well-designed and organized resume that landed me my first, full-time summer internship just after my freshman year.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I had at HPU was definitely Dr. Virginia McDermott in the School of Communication. I first met Dr. McDermott while taking her applied research in strategic communication course during the first semester of my junior year. She provided our class with the option of conducting research to which I excitedly took her up on. Because of Dr. McDermott, I was able to conduct my own graduate-level research within the field of communication and present it at the Eastern Communications Association Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. It was also extremely beneficial to have that experience as I was applying to jobs and graduate programs.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There were two moments that I would consider to be the most impactful on me while at HPU: presenting my graduate-level research at the Eastern Communications Association conference in Boston during my junior year, and joining Phi Mu my freshman year.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “My biggest piece of advice to underclassmen is to apply for as many internships as possible. It can be frustrating when you’re not making much money and putting in work at a company, but the work you put in will pay off in the long run. My supervisors at my internships were my main contacts for references while applying for jobs, and their recommendations carry a lot of weight, especially if they work in the field in which you’re applying to work.”