HPU Senior Interns in U.S. House of Representatives

U.S House of Representatives

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 10, 2018 – High Point University senior Sandrine Yesilian caught a glimpse of the inside workings of the U.S. House of Representatives during her internship this summer. The political science and international relations major worked in the office of U.S. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, a congressman from Florida.

Throughout the summer, she provided constituent services and learned about legislative issues currently up for debate at a national level. She attended meetings and briefs, worked on special projects and gave tours of the U.S. Capitol to visitors. She also helped staff with drafting letters, answering phone calls and responding to emails from constituents.

“I count myself lucky for the experience I had. I went to D.C. not knowing what to expect and left with a greater appreciation for the backbone of our capital,” says Yesilian. “I took advantage of attending as many briefs as I could to remain informed about current issues as well as the necessary path toward resolving them. Because of my internship, I gained lifelong friends, a deeper understanding of legislation, and a greater admiration for our members of Congress.”

The Miami native says HPU has helped her pursue her future with a greater sense of direction.

This includes mentors at HPU who’ve supported and guided her, such as Dr. Mark Setzler, professor of political science and director of the international relations major.

Along with Dr. Setzler’s advice, he has encouraged me throughout my years at HPU, and I couldn’t be more grateful.”