HPU Welcomes Largest Group of New Students

The HPU family welcomes more than 1,500 new students, the largest number of new students in university history, as well as 5,200 total students, the university’s largest total enrollment.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 18, 2018The 1,500 new students who moved into High Point University today came for a long list of reasons.

Impressive academics. Life skills. A great campus. The right major. A family legacy.

But they had a common thread, too.

“HPU felt like home,” said Brooke Morgan, from Apex, North Carolina. “As soon as I stepped on campus, I fell in love with this university, and I learned it has one of the best interior design programs in the country.” 

For Bert Cumming, it was HPU’s focus on life skills that drew him to the university.

Welcome Crew

HPU’s Welcome Crew stopped for a quick photo before helping new students begin their journey.

Cumming, an entrepreneurship major, settled into his dorm on the fourth floor of Finch Hall after making the journey to HPU from Long Island, New York.

“I heard about HPU through a friend who loved the school and insisted I should visit,” said Cumming. “I added it to my list of college visits not sure of what to expect, and after getting here, I knew it was right for me. The school’s mission is what really got my attention. HPU focuses on life skills and character building alongside academics.”

More than 700 HPU faculty, staff and student volunteers welcomed the Class of 2022. Despite the bustle of HPU’s annual Welcome Week, which attracts more than 15,000 visitors to the city, the volunteers kept lines running smoothly, unpacked cars for families and greeted each student with a cheer.

“The people at HPU are what sets the university apart,” said Cumming. “Everyone you meet is not only caring and helpful, but you can tell that they’re genuinely interested in your development.”

The familial bond new students experienced reflects what they can expect during their next four years at HPU. Mentorship is a key component of that, with Freshman Success Coaches, Career Advisors and industry leaders guiding students from their first moments on campus.

Myles Markel, from Attleboro, Massachusetts, discovered HPU on U.S. News and World Report’s Best Colleges list. HPU is ranked the No. 1 Best Regional College in the South, as well as Most Innovative. By November of his senior year in high school, he had visited campus and committed to attending HPU.

“I did a lot of my research through U.S. News and World Report and found HPU,” said Markel, who will major in neuroscience. “The academics are great here, as well as the campus. I was sure I wanted to be here.”

His father, Glenn Markel, said the university’s transformation impressed the family.

“The academics are impressive, the campus is pristine and his neuroscience major seems like a very dynamic program,” Markel said. “We know HPU is constantly growing, and that’s important to us. We can’t wait to come back and see the new Wanek School of Undergraduate Sciences when it’s complete.”

Christy Maasback drove her son, Winston, twelve hours from West Palm Beach, Florida. He is a business major who chose to come to HPU because of the support provided through HPU’s Career and Professional Development Office.

“Once he saw High Point University, he didn’t want to look at any other college,” she says.

Meghan Crowfoot, an HPU sophomore from Canandaigua, New York, was one of 700 HPU volunteers who helped move new students into their residence halls today.

“When I was a new student last year, I remember how nervous I was about moving in because it was just my mom and I moving my things onto the fourth floor,” said Crowfoot. “But HPU made it so easy. We didn’t have to worry about anything in the process, and I wanted to provide that for new students, too.”

Welcome Week at HPU will continue through Sunday as faculty and staff welcome 5,200 total students, the largest enrollment in the university’s history. The Convocation Ceremony for freshmen begins at 9 a.m. on Sunday. The ceremony will be held on Roberts Hall lawn. HPU President Dr. Nido Qubein will deliver the keynote address. A bald eagle will soar across the new students to symbolize the ideals of free enterprise, independence and the ability to pursue new opportunities in America. The same bald eagle will soar over the class during their graduation in four years.

Move-In Day by the Numbers:

— The number of new students reached more than 1,500 this academic year. It is HPU’s largest number of new students in university history.

— HPU welcomed 5,200 students, making it the largest total enrollment in university history.

— There were 700 HPU faculty, staff and student volunteers.

— HPU’s Welcome Week attracts more than 15,000 visitors to the city.