Internship Profile: Sophia Brown Selected for Oscar de la Renta E-Commerce Position

Internship

Name: Sophia Brown

Hometown: Ripley, West Virginia

Major: Fashion Retail Studies with a minor in Visual Merchandising Design and Marketing

Internship: Brown spent the summer working alongside fashion experts at Oscar de la Renta in New York City. As an e-commerce intern, she assisted with daily uploads of products by confirming all photography and product descriptions were correct before publishing. Brown also provided weekly reports using visuals, completed inventory checks for e-commerce and Farfetch databases, and pulled samples for photoshoots.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me with the tools to create my own major, which helped me highlight myself and skills among other applicants when entering the internship process. Applying the growth mindset outlook that HPU encourages to my personal life, I was able to speak during interviews on how a growth mindset gives me a unique perspective on daily tasks and projects knowing that even the smallest tasks contribute to the larger picture.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I would give this credit to HPU’s Kappa Delta Gamma Gamma chapter. Members provide the most wonderful support system I could have ever hoped for and have encouraged and pushed me to accomplish my dreams, even at times when I did not think they were possible. They are my HPU family, and I will be forever grateful for their love and support, and for inspiring me day by day.” 

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future: “This experience has prepared me for my future by showing me the transition to a digital world and how to apply that to everyday life. When looking at a garment online, we hardly think about the process that goes into getting that image in front of us. Becoming a part of that process has taught me how to think analytically and creatively while keeping the big picture in mind. I’ve also learned that if you want something bad enough, go make it happen! The only thing keeping you from your end goal is self doubt. And always remember to never lose sight of yourself in the process. You are your greatest accomplishment.”