Internship Profile: Meredith Chapman Practices Psychology at Broughton State Psychiatric Hospital

Internship Profile: Meredith Chapman

Name: Meredith Chapman

Hometown: Apex, North Carolina 

Major:  B.S., B.A. Psychology and Biology 

Internship: Through her summer internship at Broughton State Psychiatric Hospital, Chapman worked alongside the treatment team comprised of psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, physician assistants and social workers. She observed and assisted as rounds were completed, reviewed treatment regimens with patients, interacted with patients on the units and attended group therapy sessions. The internship also included a classroom portion where Chapman attended lectures given by different psychologists, psychiatrists and pharmacists in the hospital on topics ranging from pharmacology to forensic issues in psychology.

How HPU helped you get there: “The faculty at High Point University have been the ones guiding me during my entire career as a student. Professor Stephanie Shore, Dr. Edward Fuselier, Dr. Todd Knippenberg, Dr. Dinene Crater, Dr. Kelli Sapp and Dr. Gregg Hundt have all proven what a professor passionate about the subject of their study and the success of their students looks like. Every professor I have been lucky enough to learn from at HPU has positively impacted me in different ways. They have sat and talked with me about future career paths, lacrosse and life in general. I have learned professionalism by being a University Ambassador. I have learned numerous useful skills by being a member of the lacrosse team, and most importantly, the sport has taught me the importance of hard work, leadership, time management and how to effectively work as part of a team.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My two most impactful mentors at HPU have been my psychology advisor Dr. Christopher Lootens and my lacrosse coach Lyndsey Boswell. Dr. Lootens is the most enthusiastic professor I have ever encountered. I took multiple psychology classes with him where he sparked my interest in pursuing a career in mental health. Dr. Lootens is a caring, intelligent professor who brought this internship to my attention, helped revise my application essay, and wrote my letter of recommendation for the position. He sat and talked with me about class material, my future career, and is providing me with the opportunity to assist him in research this fall. Lyndsey Boswell, women’s lacrosse coach, has been with me every step of the way, from recruiting me in high school to coaching me here at HPU. She has helped me grow into the individual I am today by teaching me both hard and important lessons, being a source of advice, an advocate for my well being, and a role model for integrity. My strength and conditioning coaches Andrew Crossley and Shelton Gaffney have also made a large impact on me by pushing me through hard sessions that have only made me stronger while continuing to make me laugh along the way.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has been a wonderful educational opportunity that has helped solidify my choice to pursue a future in mental health. My hospital supervisor Bill Schmaltz has been nothing but honest when it comes to teaching me what it will be like to work in this field. By working in a state hospital, I have been able to witness first hand how hospital staff work together to achieve patient-centered goals. Every day, I come across patients with difficult cases but also doctors and nurses whose compassion for their work inspires me. In the future, I will be pursuing a career as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner. I have always wanted to pursue a career where I would make a positive impact in the lives of others. Working and learning at Broughton Hospital has made me more aware of the need for long-term mental health care and management. They are a significantly underserved population of people who need voices to advocate for them and compassionate people to care for them.”