Class of 2018 Outcomes: Carrie Wilson Joins Piedmont Triad Anesthesia

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Carrie Wilson

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Carrie Wilson

Hometown: Stokesdale, North Carolina

Major: Biology with a minor in english literature

Post-graduation plans: As an anesthesia technician, Wilson assists in the OR with CRNA’s at the start of cases and the duration of the cases. She does a variety of tasks such as blood gas tests, glucose tests, stocking and room turnovers. Thus far she has observed many different surgeries and has gotten to help in emergency situations.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the opportunities to succeed. They offered me skills that I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else and taught me to value the connections I make because they can lead to opportunities down the road. The skills I learned from my four years at HPU are going to take me far in life. I used the Career and Professional Development Office starting my sophomore year for help on my resume, and over the following three years, they were there to help me keep it up to date. They also provided me with amazing interview prep so I wasn’t super nervous and was able to sell myself in the best way possible.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It’s hard to choose because everyone, and I do mean everyone, is AMAZING and helpful. But, I would definitely say one particular person was out of this world. Dr. Kristin Ackerman was beyond helpful and impactful in my time at HPU. From letting me cry in her office, to celebrating my accomplishments with me, we had lots of ups and downs. I met Dr. Ackerman my sophomore year at HPU when I was in her human physiology class and went to her for extra help, not realizing that I would be meeting the lady that would define my college career. She helped me get on my PA track, get my Phlebotomy license and even introduced me to my research mentor, Dr. Segarra, who ultimately helped me discover my love of research. Dr. Ackerman was the first person I told about my job interview and was also the first person I told when I was offered the job! She was and still is there for me whenever I need her.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU would actually be two moments: the first was when I presented my research in Philadelphia at the American Society of Cellular Biology and at the European Molecular Biology Organization joint conference. The second moment would be when the research I had worked on for several semesters with Dr. Segarra was published. For me, these were impactful experiences because presenting and being a published author as an undergrad was something I never imagined possible before HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of everything HPU has to offer you. There are so many opportunities: to converse, to succeed, to learn and to grow. It would be crazy not to take advantage of them. Appreciate your time at HPU, and get to know everyone and the conversations you will have with them will be some of your best memories. I will always remember talking to Ms. Betty on the morning shuttle and seeing Ms. Kristie in the cafe before class. Those daily interactions are what help shape you over the four year period of college. Don’t waste any time because those four years at HPU are going to go fast.”